• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RIP George Steinbrenner

dmc

It's going to be a tough few days - having to hear about this over and over again. This could be worse then Michael Jackson dying.

RIP GS... Love him - hate him.. He has a place in history..

Warp Daddy

An American Original -- donated $$ to our college for a very modest football stadium in honor of Lou Sabin Lou for awhile was President of the Yankees and later was affiliated with our college as the first coach of the football program .

When i retired and came back for several years to both do severeal accreditations and run my consulting business doing residential seminars for business and industry leaders , My office was next to Lou's and we had several BS sessions and i got to "know " Steinbrenner from an insider. Some GREAT stories !!! Love em or hate 'em he was an enigma wrapped in a paradox>

RIP Boss

Website
maps.google.com
the "Boss"

i remember when the "Boss" bought the yankees from cbs for $20 mil? in the mid 70s....i was never a baseball guy but my parents loved the Brooklyn Dodges & the Mets....i was so happy to see the "Boss" flourish but to dominate....he stuck it up every ny sports writers ass & told them to go $uck themselves....was in lupica that first called the "Boss", the "Boss"? they use to draw pics in the ny daily news with the "Boss" as hitler etc....IM so glad he kicked the ny media's ass up & down Broadway....RIP to the "Boss"!!

JimG.

Staff member
A legendary baseball executive. In many ways Steinbrenner is responsible for modern day baseball as we know it, like it or not.

As a Yankee fan, I admit there were times I could not take his grandstanding and desire to be bigger than the team itself. There were times I wished he would sell the team. But to be honest, that was after the late 70's championships and before the Torre era. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like him since 1996.

I know many will disagree, but I think there is a place for him in the Hall of Fame. Through all of his bluster and publicity hunting, his true love for the sport was undeniable.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The success of the modern Red Sox is partly owed to George. No way Boston would put as competitive a team on the field as they have over the past 15 years if they didn't have the Yankees in the same division being driven by George to greatness.

Not a fan of his personality, but much respect for all that he accomplished.

Agreed - he belongs in the Hall of Fame. Longest tenured owner of the winningest franchise in professional sports? it's a no brainer

SkiDork

He played Steinbrenner on Seinfeld...

larry-david.jpg