• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rock Slide in Glenwood Canyon, CO

dlague

Well this might change plans. We were planning on going to Snowmass during our vacation driving from Dillon and had possibly considered going to Sunlight but this will make us rethink those choices. Highway closed for 24 miles. Alternate route would add an addition 30 minutes to a 2.5 hour drive. Also heard that there are traffic congestion issues on alternative routes.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_29522393/rock-slide-near-glenwood-springs-closes-i-70

4aprice

One of the more spectacular drives in the west. I've only seen the topside of the Grand Canyon but that drive has got to be close to what it looks like at the bottom. Once saw an article in Engineering News about how it was built and the precautions taken to protect as much of the environment as possible. Franconia Notch Parkway was talked about in the same article. Have always enjoyed passing through it going between Denver and Aspen.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

skiNEwhere

When are you coming out? They usually get this stuff cleared up quickly. Only time there are long delays are when they do a survey via helicopter and determine there is still a significant risk.

I did a little motorcycle tour over the summer where I did independence pass, red mtn pass and glenwood canyon. While all were pretty cool glenwood canyon was my favorite. Something you definitely need to see in your lifetime.

skiNEwhere

Stills from the summer. They don't do justice ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455833182.493128.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455833191.965761.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455833221.186142.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455833200.667278.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1455833200.667278.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 64

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Keep tabs on http://www.cotrip.org/. They'll update as things change. Current prognosis:

CLOSURE
I-70 remains closed in both directions between Glenwood Springs and Gypsum due to a rockslide. I-70 is likely to remain closed through this weekend, as inclement weather has created delays in crews’ progress bringing additional rocks down onto the highway and restoring safety. Ultimately, the opening time and day will be dependent CDOT’s ability to complete mitigation and clear the roadway with the current weather conditions. Updates to the schedule will be posted on CDOT’s traveler information site at www.cotrip.org and recorded on the 511 phone line. Alternate Route Information: The North Route uses US 40: North on CO 131 Wolcott to Steamboat Springs, west on US 40 to Craig, then south on CO 13 to Rifle at I-70. This is a 203-mile, nearly 4-hour alternate route. The South Route uses US 50 via Grand Junction. The Glenwood Rockfall Travel Alert has more information. Note: Cottonwood Pass and Independence Pass remain closed for the season.

dlague

They say it might be open on Tuesday. Great pics BTW

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

1Kathleen

At Copper this week, on the local news tonight they said they are hoping to open one lane on Saturday and alternate the traffic.