• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Running Season Is Almost Upon Us

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm insane. I've backed off on the gym for the last 2 weeks because I was busy with life and my new business. Returned yesterday and then decided today to sign up for my first race of the season. It's in one week. I'm nuts. It's only 2 miles and I have been consistently running 2 miles, so I should be okay... but I definitely will not be fast. Last year, they had 1152 athletes between the 2-mile & 5-mile runs and 2-mile walk so there's a pretty good chance I won't come in last place. Still, I can't believe I signed up for a race that's only 1 week from now. :eek:

Let the season begin!

Hell yeah..I run during the week once I become a weekend warrior when Blue closes. I need some new Saucanys..

awf170

I actually got into running about a month ago. Then I gave up after a week when I remembered why I don't run (it's boring). Once I get new shoes I want to try to get under a 6 minute mile. Once I do that, hopefully the first try, I'll give up again.

Anyway... good luck in the race. I would say hope for good weather, but I want more snow.

MR. evil

I actually got into running about a month ago. Then I gave up after a week when I remembered why I don't run (it's boring). Once I get new shoes I want to try to get under a 6 minute mile. Once I do that, hopefully the first try, I'll give up again.

Anyway... good luck in the race. I would say hope for good weather, but I want more snow.

Austin, you will easily be able to do a 6 minute mile. I used to run alot with a friend and that made it tolerable. But solo it sure is booring. I much prefer the mtn bike.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I prefer skiing and MTBing with other people, but I like running alone. It's my quiet time, my time when no kids are screaming for me to do something for them. I will run with them in the double jogger if I have to, but I prefer to be alone. Running on the treadmill at the gym IS boring. It's better now that I have an MP3 player. But again, it's my selfish time alone and I treasure that. I returned from today's run to one kid who's tired and crying, one who is making noises that are annoying Brian, Brian who keeps telling the 2nd child to stop, and the noise of the TV on top of all of that. If my knee wasn't bothering me, I would have stayed out longer.

Today was my 1st outside run of the season.

cbcbd

Running is definitively therapeutic... and nothing beats it for leaning out (well, maybe swimming?). Not much feels as good as kicking your own ass after a good run. I'm trying to get back into it... without injuries this time.

drjeff

Outdoor evening runs are hands down one of the things I look forward as much for the menatl tranquility as for the physical feeling it leaves me with.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Those in CT, do you have recommendations for a reputable running shop? I need to get evaluated and fitted for running shoes. I was steered toward Fleet Feet Sports in West Hartford. But I've also heard of Road & Track Sports in Brookfield (who says they will beat online prices; a huge selling point for me as money is an issue).

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Nope, because I have one of those, too. ;)

I really am crazy. I am still considering the indoor tri at the Y next month (10 min swim, 30 min stationary bike, 20 min treadmill run) and a "real" tri at the end of July. :eek:

drjeff

Those in CT, do you have recommendations for a reputable running shop? I need to get evaluated and fitted for running shoes. I was steered toward Fleet Feet Sports in West Hartford. But I've also heard of Road & Track Sports in Brookfield (who says they will beat online prices; a huge selling point for me as money is an issue).
e

+1 for fleet feet. Be prepared though to see your gait blown up on a decent sized TV screen in SLO-MO though while there :eek:

I used then back a few years ago when I really started to get into running to get my gait analyzed to see what type of shoe I needed for my arch type, foot strike pattern, etc, etc, etc. Now aware of what I need, I do all my shoe purchasing online via roadrunnersports.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Yeah, I figured it won't be a fun process. But I need it if I want to keep at this.

I signed up for a triathlon today. July 31st. Sprint length (1/2 mile swim, 10 miles bike, 3.1 miles run)... anybody want to join me? :D

skibum9995

After hiking this weekend I realized how fat and out of shape I am. I'll start running after I get back from the Loaf. I'm tentatively planning on doing the Manchester City Marathon this fall, along with some crazy hikes, so I need to start getting in shape.

bvibert

Staff member
I've never been much of runner, but I was actually getting into it a bit the other day at the gym.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Running season? I run in the winter because it has way less wind chill than biking, then I cycle in the summer for the cooling effect of the wind. I can understand how you'd prefer to run and not go drop 2 grand on a road bike though. I've been running a bit due to the encouragment of my girlfriend. I can go decent distances (5+ miles) but still very slow. Like I've always been. I think that's why I prefer cycling. I need the speed to keep me entertained.

bvibert

Staff member
You should do the triathlon with me. ;)

Uh, who would watch the kids??

maybe next year...

Running season? I run in the winter because it has way less wind chill than biking, then I cycle in the summer for the cooling effect of the wind. I can understand how you'd prefer to run and not go drop 2 grand on a road bike though. I've been running a bit due to the encouragment of my girlfriend. I can go decent distances (5+ miles) but still very slow. Like I've always been. I think that's why I prefer cycling. I need the speed to keep me entertained.

I ran for a whole 3/4 mile on the treadmill the other day, that's pretty good for me. :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
One of my former coworkers was hit by a car while road biking almost 2 years ago. She used to have a spinning studio and ended up selling it because she was still in a lot of pain from the hit. I'm terrified of that and that's part of the reason why road biking is not really appealing to me. Well, that and the cost of buying another bike. The tri I signed up for is on backroads so I feel a little better about the biking part of it, but I'm still scared.

You ran outside this winter? You're the man, Marc!

bvibert

Staff member
Lame excuse.

Ok, then see my post above. Unless the tri has a 100 yard swim, .5 mile run, and 5 mile bike I think I might die. Actually I think I could ride further on a road bike, but not after running a whole 1/2 mile.