• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback, ME 3/15/08

deadheadskier

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Saturday, March 15th, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Saddleback, ME

Conditions: Packed Powder, Loose Granular, GARBAGE coarse sandpaper crust on Natural trails

Trip Report:

My eagerly anticipated first trip to Saddleback today started out with promise. My buddy and I left Portland at 6:15 am with light snow falling for what would be a long slog to Saddleback. The Highway was in good shape, but route 4 was pretty darn sloppy from Auburn all the way to Rangeley. Total snow accumulation of no more than 2 inches, but apparently whatever county we were driving through had blown their plow/salt budget as the roads were quite greasy with three solid accidents of totaled front ends of cars on the way. There were better moguls than Saddleback had, in the form of frost heaves on Route 4 from Farmington all the way to Rangely, which compounded with the snow made for challenging driving. If Saddleback wants to grow the way it plans, that road will need a lot of work. Arrived at Saddleback at 9:30. Pretty decent timing, only an extra 45 minutes than planned, which was good based on the roads.

Things were looking even more promising with sun starting to poke through. Turned in my ticket New England Ski and Ride free ticket voucher and off we went up the Rangely Double, which to my surprise had a solid ten minute liftline. This would be the case outside of lunch time all the way until 3:30. Our first run went from Gray Ghost, which was beautifully groomed on down to Parmachenee Belle. This trail had a sign at the top saying 'not groomed, moguls'. I was psyched to dig in until fifteen feet into the run with SCRATCH/CRUNCH coming from my skis. There was the WORST crust imaginable and tiny irregular moguls. Worse surface than boiler plate ice, I'd liken it to skiing on very hard extremely coarse sand paper, just scratching and grabbing at your skis. AWFUL. The sun was burning fairly strong though in lower elevations, so I wasn't giving up hope. The summit remained socked in all day with twenty foot visability for the first two hundred verticle feet.

We road the Cupsuptic T-Bar next. First time on a T-Bar in many years and though kinda fun, I was hopin' for a FAST detachable type T-Bar, which wasn't the case. Very slow ride. We hit Blue Devil next which was GEORGEOUS packed powder. Short, but fun run with hero carving snow. Next run we hit was Jane Craig, which was ungroomed and again TOTAL GARBAGE. I was literally skiing it pissed off. I understand niar events happen. I can appreciate a mountain leaving a crusted over trail ungroomed IF there are already established good bumps that will eventually soften. This was not the case, just a flat crusted death track down the mountain. Trust me, I HATE grooming for the most part and wish that 90% of non-gladed terrain at mountains is left to bump up.

Following this run I skied to the lodge and for the first time in my life, sought out the grooming report and highlighted everything on the trail map that was as I couldn't imagine anyone enjoying the trails that weren't. The rest of the day was spent skiing groomers. The lower mountain runs were beautiful packed powder, but got skied off fairly early. The reason? There was only about eight runs from the Rangely Double downward outside of the beginner area that were groomed. There were equally as many left ungroomed pointlessly as they skied horribly. From the top they had groomed Tightline and Supervisor, which was more of a ice / loose granular mix than the packed powder down low. The Top T-Bar was kind of cool to ride, but again very slow. I don't think they should replace it with a Quad as planned. I know they want to make the top accesible to more folks, but they should leave the T-Bar as an insurance policy for high wind days.

So, it was a day spent on groomers, which got boring rather quick, so I found myself skiing the half pipe at the bottome of the runs for the first time in ten years or so, just for kicks. I also for the first time in my life attempted to hit a rail and failed miserably :lol:. Skis shot straight forward in front of me and I had to dive to avoid having my ribs come crashing down on the rail. I've never had an interest in riding rails, did so out of boredom. I actually want to give it ago again someday, maybe start with a flat box as I feel a certain challenge in me to learn how to do it.

My take on Saddleback:

KILLER MOUNTAIN that I would LOVE on a good snow day. Looking into Nightmare Glades, Intimidator Glades and others I was salivating, but frustrated that they weren't skiable, at least enjoyably.

GREAT old school Vibe to the Place, BEAUTIFUL lodge.

Rangely Double deserves attention prior to any new lifts or upgrading others. I'm not saying HSQ, but at the very least a triple. It access the bulk of terrain and if the places gains popularity, the lines will be unbearable on it.

The proposed 9 new lifts and doubling of terrain? Ain't gonna happen in my lifetime. Maybe half will. There just simply will never be the skier numbers to get the return on investment. It's a great place and VERY affordable, but it's literally at the end of the earth. It makes Jay Peak seem easy to get to. Improving route 4 seems more important to me to increase skier traffic than improving the actual ski product.

So, glad I went, though VERY dissapointed with the skiing, but I will be back again when I know it's got good snow as the place is LEGIT in terms of available steeps and classic terrain.

bigbog

...it takes $$$ to fix roads..

It's not just #4 that has heaving issues...many miles of road have taken a whammy with the snow, then rain, then snow again syndrome this winter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's not just #4 that has heaving issues...many miles of road have taken a whammy with the snow, then rain, then snow again syndrome this winter.

oh no doubt it's a fact of life. That said, route 302 going towards N.Conway and 26 towards the River have seemed like virtual highways in comparison. There are stretches of 4 where there are break down lanes near Farmington that are smooth as can be. It's just the last 40 miles or so that seem to need some widening and smoothing in order to make it a more viable access road for distant travelers. Frost Heaves will always be an issue, but some state highways seem better built than others.

snoseek

I can't fathom those lines at Saddleback, crazy! Try it out on a powder day, look at the trees that are unmarked, tons of good stuff. Ski off the upper and lower t-bar and look around. I miss this place more than anywhere else in New England. I don't miss Stowe, Jay, Cannon, Sugarbush, Ect... But I do miss Saddleback (and Sunday River a little). Did you notice the readiant heat floors in the lodge?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh believe you me, I could tell that when the place goes off, it must do so as well as anywhere in New England. It truly is a sweet mountain. I just caught it on a BAD day. It could've been at least good though. Like I said, I HATE grooming, get bored with groomers VERY easily. But the whole place outside of obviously the trees needed to be buffed today as whatever wasn't, was garbage to ski. Like I said, skiing on rough sand paper. Looking around I felt like a kid in a candy store with no arms. I could see unmarked lines EVERYWHERE all over the mountain, but none of it was skiable.

I know someday I'll get to experience the place in an epic fashion. Unfortunately, today wasn't that day :(

klrskiah

oh no doubt it's a fact of life. That said, route 302 going towards N.Conway and 26 towards the River have seemed like virtual highways in comparison. There are stretches of 4 where there are break down lanes near Farmington that are smooth as can be. It's just the last 40 miles or so that seem to need some widening and smoothing in order to make it a more viable access road for distant travelers. Frost Heaves will always be an issue, but some state highways seem better built than others.

c'mon 4 isnt that bad... plenty of nice heaves to air it out on:daffy:

its as good as 27 to sugarloaf, but thats not saying much

salsgang

Bummer on the ungroomed. Looks like there is some weather mid-week but iffy on the snow content. I have a trip or two left up there so hopefully things will improve.

phil

The Cupsuptic T-bar has been there since the 60's there is no way it would be high speed.
I skied Saddleback in the 70's then not again until this winter. The T-bars are the same. Kennebago just moved from lower down on the mountain. I liked the improvements to the Rangeley chair particularly the replacement of the highly elevated unloading ramp.

Mapnut

You're kidding, they built the Kennebago T-bar out of the one that used to be below the base lodge? 1400 feet long with about 170 vertical?

phil

You're kidding, they built the Kennebago T-bar out of the one that used to be below the base lodge? 1400 feet long with about 170 vertical?

Mapnut
You are right. That old beginners lift wouldn't be big enough. But the Kennebago T-bar is certainly built out of old equipment. As far as I know they have not built those sort of parts in a long time.