• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sears sucks

gmcunni

Ordered a new phone for my home office last night. Sears had one i liked, found good write ups on it and it was on sale so I ordered it with the store pick up since it was IN STOCK at my local Sears store.

Well. my darling wife volunteered to drive the 30 minutes to pick it up for me and when she got there:

Sears - Oh, hello Mrs. GMCUNNI. Did you get our call (no we did not)? The phone you ordered in WHITE is not available but we have it in black, is that OK?

Mrs. GMCUNNI - Hold on, it is for my husband, i'll call him to check. Yes, black is fine thanks.

Sears - Ok, hold on, we'll bring it right out.

wait 5 minutes.

Sears - Mrs. GMCUNNI, we're sorry, we don't have the black phone either. Would you like this other model which costs twice as much?

Mrs. GMCUNNI - NO! (leaves store)

:angry: what a F'ing pain in the ass.

Glenn

I hate it when stuff like that happens. Isn't the interweb great?

Here's a similar one: My father inlaw wanted a stereo receiver. He researched it online and went to Circuit City. They didn't have any in stock. He goes home and checks the website. He bought it online and selected "pick up at the store". He went back to the very stame store and picked it up. Double You Tee Eff.

Swamp Dog

I hate it when stuff like that happens. Isn't the interweb great?

Here's a similar one: My father inlaw wanted a stereo receiver. He researched it online and went to Circuit City. They didn't have any in stock. He goes home and checks the website. He bought it online and selected "pick up at the store". He went back to the very stame store and picked it up. Double You Tee Eff.

so is it any wonder they've gone out of business?

and about Sears, as much as I hate them I try to remember that they pay the salary difference to employees that are called up for active duty. Their jobs, seniority, and benefits remain intact while they are serving our country. So putting up with their BS at least has a positive outcome. Putting up with BS at Circuit City or the like does not.

Dr Skimeister

Sears and KMart (the store, not the ski area) have the same ownership. And the same atrocious customer service.

The ownership is actually a real estate speculation outfit that makes money from selling the real estate of failed stores.

drjeff

Sears and KMart (the store, not the ski area) have the same ownership. And the same atrocious customer service.

The ownership is actually a real estate speculation outfit that makes money from selling the real estate of failed stores.

Yup, there's one of the hybrid "sear-mart" stores in the town where I work(there was BOTH a K-Mart and a Sears in the same plaza before they merged. About the only thing I'll go in there for is some Craftsman handtools and some of the Lands End item they stock. Other than that, I look at that store/company as one that has really lost it's niche/focus and may very well end up a victim of the current economy.

Too bad as growing up, Umm, "certain pages" of the Sears catalog were mandatory adolescent male viewing material ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ctenidae

Well, Eddie Lampert tried to make money from the real estate deal. Didn't work out so well, and ended up owning K-Mart, then bought Sears to try to save K-Mart. Circuit City was reportedly going to try the same type of thing, but ran out of time.

wa-loaf

Sears - Mrs. GMCUNNI, we're sorry, we don't have the black phone either. Would you like this other model which costs twice as much?

This is where you answer yes, but for the price of the phone I drove 1/2 hours to get.

TheBEast

That's right, just think of Sears as one giant hedge fund run by Eddie Lampert. All their money is made from their investments......retailing makes nada.....

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
That's right, just think of Sears as one giant hedge fund run by Eddie Lampert. All their money is made from their investments......retailing makes nada.....

Kind of like insurance companies, that generally either make nothing or a loss on premiums, and rely on investment of capital... except my insurance company of course, because we roxorz.

Regarding Sears though... I like them, but then again, I only ever buy anything from their tool department. There was this one time my friend and I were working on his Porsche 944, and we needed a 7 mm (I think) wrench, but to reach the fastener we were going for, needed a 90 degree bend in it. So we took a mapp gas torch, bent the wrench and used it. We then brought it to Sears, told them it bent while we were using it. It was all discolored from the torch and everything, it was hilarious. I think you could see the teeth marks from the vice grips we used to bend it too.

He just shrugged and got us a new one, no charge. It was great.

bvibert

Staff member
Regarding Sears though... I like them, but then again, I only ever buy anything from their tool department. There was this one time my friend and I were working on his Porsche 944, and we needed a 7 mm (I think) wrench, but to reach the fastener we were going for, needed a 90 degree bend in it. So we took a mapp gas torch, bent the wrench and used it. We then brought it to Sears, told them it bent while we were using it. It was all discolored from the torch and everything, it was hilarious. I think you could see the teeth marks from the vice grips we used to bend it too.

He just shrugged and got us a new one, no charge. It was great.

Should have kept the wrench for the next time you needed to do the job.. Kids these days.. :roll:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Should have kept the wrench for the next time you needed to do the job.. Kids these days.. :roll:

Ain't no f'ckin way we were going to replace the head gasket in that biotch twice. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts. It was going to the scrap heap if it was still leaking coolant into the cylinders. (It didn't, by the way.)

Plus, they weren't our wrenches :dunce:

ccskier

This past summer, bought myself a decent snappr 22' lawn mower at sears paid about $350-$400. Mowed the lawn twice, third time I nicked a stump, bends the shaft. I was pissed at myself, go to the hardware store, but a bew blade, get home, put new blade on and realized the shaft was bent. At this point the mower goes hurling down the driveway and a loud "fauck" comes out of my mouth, my neighbor was laughing his ass off, we love seeing eachother struggle. I call sears to see if there is a dumbass warranty, nope, $250+ to rebuild the mower, f that I say. Go to sears, now buy a husquavarna, $350 again. None in stock, want to buy the floor model, talk the guy into it. Pay for it, they tell me to go over to the pick up window, so being pissed off, not thinking I listen. The asshole at the pick up area says, oh you have to go over to the warehouse, at this point I am so pissed off I say sure, I will play along. Battle the idiots who are at the mall on a beautiful Cape Cod day, get over the warehouse, why I went is still beyond me. Get there, the child molester behind the wall says, it is in the store, no shit, go back to the store, didn't bother with a parking spot, firelane was enough at this point, go over to the rack, take the lawn mower and start walking out of the store, took a bottle of oil off of the shelf as I was leaving. Store clerks are asking me what I am doing, explain to them that I bought this f'ing mower and I am not leaving with out it, flashed my receipt, they were like, ok, can we help you put it in the car. I told them where the could put it and took care of it myself. They are so stupid. These idiots work on commission, a few weeks ago, I made the mistake of going in there because the tv I wanted Best Buy did not have in stock. It took the mook 15 minutes to see if they had it in stock, I watched him then stop and talk to a buddy for a few minutes, comes back and says yeah we have it, doesn't offer to ring it up or whatever. I said hold on be right back, went back to best buy, spent $1800 on a tv best buy had in stock just so I would not give sears anymore business.