• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Singles line?

drjeff

As long as open air stadiums across the country at filled to capacity, there's going to be a really far stretch, regardless of on'es vaccination/antobody statuts or not, to justify not loading chairs, especially open air chairs, to capacity.

Will there be a small percentage of folks for whom this is the tipping point that may have them not choosing to ski/ride this season? I bet there will be some like that. However, pretty sure the vast majority won't have an issue with it

abc

Will there be a small percentage of folks for whom this is the tipping point that may have them not choosing to ski/ride this season? I bet there will be some like that.
I have very little sympathy with those folks too.

Science had indicated outdoor transmission is minimal. These folks chose to not believe in science just as much as the right wing antivaxxers!

Fine by me if there're fewer of those crowding the lift lines.

PAabe

Chair is literally blasting completely fresh air into your face the whole way up. Can't get much safer than that.

That being said I would be willing to do the mask thing especially on a gondola if it means keeping the lines moving, but yeah, masking outside is pretty useless per pretty much all studies

I would prefer to see zero restrictions at ski areas this winter but minor stuff wouldn't be a deal breaker especially if it means upping capacity

machski

I would favor it for fully outdoor lifts. For bubble chairs and gondolas I would say keep them to one party only.
Could see reduced capacity on Gondolas and Trams if over a 10 minute ride time (not many of those, in the East I can only think of Skyeship). Beyond that, not so much. Especially bubble chairs, since you have the option of leaving the bubble up if really concerned.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Could see reduced capacity on Gondolas and Trams if over a 10 minute ride time (not many of those, in the East I can only think of Skyeship). Beyond that, not so much. Especially bubble chairs, since you have the option of leaving the bubble up if really concerned.
Someone insisting on leaving bubble open while others want it closed could get ugly

drjeff

Someone insisting on leaving bubble open while others want it closed could get ugly
There are very few bubble lifts in the Northeast atleast, that don't have some sort of other lift/lifts combo that aren't bubbles that will get you to essentially the exact same location on the mountain.

If one is really anti bubble down, and are part of a group that isn't enough to fully occupy that lift, might not be a bad idea if they avoid the bubble and pre-emptively choose the open air option(s) to get up the hill

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

There are very few bubble lifts in the Northeast atleast, that don't have some sort of other lift/lifts combo that aren't bubbles that will get you to essentially the exact same location on the mountain.

If one is really anti bubble down, and are part of a group that isn't enough to fully occupy that lift, might not be a bad idea if they avoid the bubble and pre-emptively choose the open air option(s) to get up the hill

No real alternative to Jackson Gore bubble or Stowe Gondola servicing that terrain.

drjeff

No real alternative to Jackson Gore bubble or Stowe Gondola servicing that terrain.
With the moving of the Jackson Gore Bubble over to the replace the old Green Ridge triple and the Jackson gore lift now going to be an open air 6 pack, Okemo has both redundacy and less than 10 minutes on both of them.

The Stowe Gondola is also under 10 minutes.

Arguably short of maybe the Killington Skyeship and the Gondola at Stratton (running at the speed it typically does rathet than the speed it could run at), not sure off the top of my head if there is an enclosed lift in the Northeast that is 10 minutes or longer. And anyone please feel free to correct me on that

Newpylong

No outdoor masks or lift capacity restrictions for Vail resorts (unless there is a local ordnance) for this winter. I would expect others to align closely with this.

Mum skier

With the moving of the Jackson Gore Bubble over to the replace the old Green Ridge triple and the Jackson gore lift now going to be an open air 6 pack, Okemo has both redundacy and less than 10 minutes on both of them.

The Stowe Gondola is also under 10 minutes.

Arguably short of maybe the Killington Skyeship and the Gondola at Stratton (running at the speed it typically does rathet than the speed it could run at), not sure off the top of my head if there is an enclosed lift in the Northeast that is 10 minutes or longer. And anyone please feel free to correct me on that
I didn’t know about those upgrades at Okemo, are they meant to be ready for this year? A high speed lift where the green ridge triple was would be great.

urungus

I didn’t know about those upgrades at Okemo, are they meant to be ready for this year? A high speed lift where the green ridge triple was would be great.

Yes they are supposed to be ready this year. (The upgrades were initially supposed to be done in time for last year, but then Covid.) About an hour ago Okemo posted a Facebook update with video of the new towers getting helicoptered in, not sure if they will be able to complete both installations before scheduled opening in 9 weeks. Usually Jackson Gore opens a few weeks later than the main mountain, so that might give them a little more time.