• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Boarding Gear, Jacket and Pants. Types, Ideas, Complaints and repair tips. What works? and What Doesn't work?

MidnightJester

I thought the point of the pit zippers are to vent, not to keep warmth?
They are there to Vent to cool for sure but the Mesh I thought is there not to stop the rain but to stop piles of snow from coming in if you tumble, plant, or crash into deep snow. I have gone arm first into very deep snow that I would not of wanted a almost 10" inch open gap in my armpit or leg area.

Guess its vent on way up and close mostly or fully on the way down.

Last edited:

abc

They are there to Vent to cool for sure but the Mesh I thought is there not to stop the rain but to stop piles of snow from coming in if you tumble, plant, or crash into deep snow. I have gone arm first into very deep snow that I would not of wanted a almost 10" inch open gap in my armpit or leg area.

Guess its vent on way up and close mostly on the way down.
I hear you.

But seems DrJeff think the mesh (or even pit zip) are not needed, or even a bad idea altogether.

I was questioning that assertion.

I have 2 jackets with pit zip. My experience is they’re useful in temperature regulation. And don’t suffer leaks in rain.

Domeskier

I have a shell with meshless wrist vents. I sometimes mistake them for the lift ticket pocket. Luckily, there is a powder sleeve that prevents the ticket from falling out of the jacket when I make this mistake. I used them once on a warm spring day when I should not have been wearing a jacket to begin with.

MidnightJester

So modern Jackets and Pants & bib snow outer gear come in a few materials but break down into more two main types it seems. Softer shell or Harder shell(new hybrid softer hard shell's appearing) on new higher end gear.

What are peoples opinions on the two types? Hard shells lack in easy fabric movement and have seen comments on easy to rip or tear at times. The newer Hard shells are using new productions and materials to hang and flow a little better like more normal fabrics but still not the same. Trying to find ideas??

Seems the Harder shells would be great in backcountry or exposed open terrain with not much contact with things and deeper powder.
Softer shells might and that's might withstand a little more contact with branches and icy frozen conditions while allowing a little more water penetration and wind through.

Last edited:

MidnightJester

If you were wondering why some of the new outer wear seems to be a little damp or weepy. New to our outerwear is the PFC free clothing materials the recent few years. They are switching out Oil produced fabrics and oil byproducts for Plant based waterproofing oil byproduct(PFC free) that claim to be as good but seems from a few peoples comments they aren't. Hmmmmmmm??

Seems PFC's in our winter and wet outerwear were good for our needs + waterproofing and should be a choice if needed. Are PFC free snow clothing even re waterproof-able. Wonder how applying Tent and outerwear PFC waterproofing reacts to the new outerwear materials that are PFC free.

As to washing waterproofing PFC's out of our winter outer gear in past. I have not washed almost any of my gear ever just to not remove the water proofing, Probably though most don't look into it that you are not supposed to use any modern liquid soaps on any winter or rain outer gear, Have seen comments that old school powdered clothes soap don't strip PFC waterproofing

Last edited:

PAabe

I got a new pair of wool pants for this winter. Not sure if I will wear them much downhill skiing but I intend to wear them for xc and outdoor work. They are extraordinarily warm and very durable and comfortable. I was tired of ripping up my ski bibs on sticker bushes and branches. They fit a lot better than the old army surplus ones.

oldfartrider

I have a jacket I've used for the last few years lightweight yet warm. The zipper broke last year. I thought I'd be able to find a similar jacket but haven't found one. After buying 3 different jackets and trying to get used to them and hating them I looked around to see if someone would replace the zipper. First place I went to (a dry cleaner) said they never replaced a waterproof zipper and wouldn't replace it with something lesser. They suggested trying a shoe repair shop. The shoe repair shop told me the same thing as the dry cleaner but he said he could try to fix the zipper, something I didn't even think was possible. Well for $20 I now have a functioning zipper. The shoe repair guy worked wonders. Hopefully it holds, I've been out half a dozen times so far and no problems.