• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Patrol Death

Sons of Thunder

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, and I know people hate seeing stuff like this if they can avoid it but I thought it important to post.

http://www.sierrasun.com/news/fatal-accident-at-squaw-valley-leaves-one-dead/
http://www.powder.com/stories/breaking-news-squaw-valley-ski-patroller-killed/#VaZdghRlYXFS0uVf.97

Someone on one of the other boards I frequent said he heard rumors that an avy bomb went off prematurely. Scary stuff. Gofundme link below.

https://www.gofundme.com/squaw-patrol-funeral-fund

snoseek

This is something people need to realize when they're writing bad reviews and complaining that stuff doesn't open quick enough on a big powder day out there...these people that do all this so you have the pleasure of skiing it have an incredibly dangerous job and the expectations from the general public are often plain unreasonable.

dlague

That is tragic! Ski patrol do take lots of risks at the bigger resorts. They do a lot at any resort, but the risks they take to make sure trails are safe where avalanche danger exists is often forgotten.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
In a particularly sad coincidence, there's an article in this months Ski Magazine discussing using drones to drop avalanche explosives to improve patrol safety. Thus far using drones for such purposes is prohibited by the FAA. Hopefully this tragic accident is enough motivation to get the laws changed.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

In a particularly sad coincidence, there's an article in this months Ski Magazine discussing using drones to drop avalanche explosives to improve patrol safety. Thus far using drones for such purposes is prohibited by the FAA. Hopefully this tragic accident is enough motivation to get the laws changed.

I'd be curious to hear if in this tragic case yesterday that it was a situation where the patroler had lit the fuse of a charge he intended to throw right then and it went off much earlier than expected, or based on how I read the limited context of the reports, it almost seemed like a charge went off as they were transporting charges out into areas where they wanted to blast, but at that moment in time the patroler hadn't lit a fuse that he intended to throw right then and there....

Just a terrible event for all, as I'm sure the mental trauma that the Squaw Patrol and Ops who were on scene right after will be far greater than any call they respond to for an "unknown person" :-( And may the deceased's wife and infant son be able to get through this time and eventually live a happy, normal as possible life

Last edited:

benski

Can't be much longer till drones are allowed. Just a matter of working out the regulations.

Sons of Thunder

Can't be much longer till drones are allowed. Just a matter of working out the regulations.

Won't be long before we see these flying above our heads.

predator-firing-missile4.jpg

On a more serious note, the gofundme is well over the $100k goal which is awesome news.

Whitney

Squaw patrol is top notch...don't forget to buy a round for your local patrol once in awhile.