• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ski Tibet?

Zermatt

Pretty sure the Himalayas get a pretty decent amount of snow.

Based on what? Pictures of snowy mountains that are 25,000 feet tall? Snow reports?

I'm not saying that parts of the Himalayas don't get a lot of snow, but you'd be surprised. If it snowed more there would be more trees, it would be greener. The tallest peaks of the Himalayas block moisture from the Indian Ocean creating a desert in Tibet.

mbedle

I Would guess that any snow that they do get in the mountain near Lhasa, stay around all winter. Maybe I am wrong.

Zermatt

Based on this website from October to May Lhasa receives less than 1 cm of precip: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/climate/lhasa.htm

Even if it all fell as snow at 20:1 ratio that is like 6" total. I've seen pictures of snow in Lhasa, but the super dry air and high altitude sun must suck it away very rapidly.

Glaciers don't even begin until 18,000' in Nepal. I assume a little higher in Tibet. Maybe the ski season is in the summer when more precip falls in the mountains as snow.

Even so, the whole thing looks like click-bait. Unless you live at 10,000' who is going to go skiing there? What, spend a week acclimating?

ironhippy

there's heliskiing in the Himalaya's already, which seems a lot more of a feasible approach for people who can afford to travel there to ski.

interesting concept though

gladerider

Click bait? did you read the article? Beijing will host the 2022 winter Olympics. They want to train their athletes. They said mountains near by not in lhasa.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Zermatt

Click bait? did you read the article? Beijing will host the 2022 winter Olympics. They want to train their athletes. They said mountains near by not in lhasa.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Yep, read the article twice. Post a headline in the daily mail about a ski area in Tibet and people will click on it, click bait. I would too.

It's a novel idea. Nothing below 18,000' gets any real snow there. This is one of the most remote places in the world. I guess a high altitude year round training area for Chinese athletes would work for them.

Jully

It's not like China doesn't already spend inordinate amounts of money on outlandish ideas.

Jully

I wish America will spend some amounts of money on such outlandish ideas from time to time. Like sending a man to the Moon...

I'd love to see us send someone to the moon! That'd be great!

Jully

Except it's already been done. So it's no long outlandish. (it was, at the time, got paid huge dividend too)

I know, I was joking haha. I didn't at all mean to say in my first comment that the US or other countries do not / have not spent lavishly on national projects. I just meant that China currently does spend money on some fairly expensive projects.

Whether it's trying to build islands in the South China Sea or trying to build a ski resort from compete scratch in a remote location, the cost of a project is not what seems to prohibit China's actions in many circumstances.

abc

Sorry, I misunderstood your initial comment.

The cost of building a ski resort from scratch anywhere won't be cheap. Whether the project is practical or not is a different matter.