• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Student section fad or trend I don't understand

jaywbigred

Can anyone explain to me the fad that seems to becoming more and more popular with college students at football and now basketball games that involves dressing up for the game in a full body (including the head) lycra suit? Some extended googling around revealed that the suits are sometimes called rootsuits. I've only seen one or two episodes of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and I remember them playing a role on that show, but I don't see the connection nor what anything has to do with going to a game in one of them and, as far as I can tell, most of the time the color of the suit has nothing to do with the team colors.

Someone splain dis to me?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I just witnessed this at a hockey game last week at the University. I did not know it was a national fad. I have no idea. Something "cool" posted to the Internet that went viral? Who knows.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Can anyone explain to me the fad that seems to becoming more and more popular with college students at football and now basketball games that involves dressing up for the game in a full body (including the head) lycra suit? Some extended googling around revealed that the suits are sometimes called rootsuits. I've only seen one or two episodes of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" and I remember them playing a role on that show, but I don't see the connection nor what anything has to do with going to a game in one of them and, as far as I can tell, most of the time the color of the suit has nothing to do with the team colors.

Someone splain dis to me?

the logic is probably the same for WVU students burning couches in the streets after a home football game win........

.......people are stupid, but it makes life fun

WakeboardMom

You mean like this? This is my son..."Greenman," with random people while tailgating at a Patriots game just after Christmas last year. The suit was a Christmas gift from the son who is taking the picture. The caption reads, "Everybody loves Greenman." He made it to the Jumbotron wearing this.

22153_529478553862_29100772_31308136_1226329_n.jpg

WJenness

I was at the Bruins game on Monday.

There were two guys behind the visitors bench (right against the glass) wearing gold suits like the greenman suit having a great time.

They got on the jumbotron a bunch of times, dancing, air guitar, taunting John Mclean (Devils' head coach)...

They were pretty funny and having a good time...Good for them.

-w

wa-loaf

There were two guys behind the visitors bench (right against the glass) wearing gold suits like the greenman suit having a great time.

They got on the jumbotron a bunch of times, dancing, air guitar, taunting John Mclean (Devils' head coach)...

-w

Yeah, but how do you drink your beer?

jaywbigred

-w

sic: MacLean.

I guess the primary connection is to "It's Always Sunny", didn't realize they went to sporting events on the show in the suit. People wearing them certainly seem to have fun with it. I just don't see the cleverness in it. I thought maybe I was missing something.

WakeboardMom

People wearing them certainly seem to have fun with it. I just don't see the cleverness in it. I thought maybe I was missing something.

I didn't get it either. When #3 son opened it on Christmas morning and all of the kids cheered, I totally didn't get it. When I saw all the people at Gillette high-fiving him, I thought it was pretty funny. Like you say, they always seem to have fun with it.

Can they see through that?

He skied in it one day. Said it wasn't easy.

Yeah, but how do you drink your beer?

Scroll up and look at the picture. The people were playing flip cup and I think Green Man joined in.

Dr Skimeister

the logic is probably the same for WVU students burning couches in the streets after a home football game win........

.......people are stupid, but it makes life fun

Been known to happen after significant road wins too...and after the occasional basketball game too...

Go Mountaineers!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Been known to happen after significant road wins too...and after the occasional basketball game too...

Go Mountaineers!!

When I lived in Deep Creek Lake, I went and saw a game. Good times. Love Morgantown. Place knows how to party.

I do believe when I was there that the town passed an ordinance where if anyone left a couch on a front porch during game days they'd get issued a $500 fine. It was supposed to deter the couch burning.

Dr Skimeister

When I lived in Deep Creek Lake, I went and saw a game. Good times. Love Morgantown. Place knows how to party.

I do believe when I was there that the town passed an ordinance where if anyone left a couch on a front porch during game days they'd get issued a $500 fine. It was supposed to deter the couch burning.

oh yea....supposed to deter