• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf New Terrain

snowmonster

Instead of putting in a lift at the black line, they could simply make a cat track- it would become a hike out backside bowl like Teocalli at Crested Butte. That way the traffic would largely stay out except for those who are serious enough to hike out (it doesn't look like the hike is all that long anyway) and the snow would stay for longer.
What sounds cooler-
"new backside terrain with surface lift"
"new extreme patrolled sidecountry- first of its kind in the east (not sure if that's actually true though)"

I like this idea. Limit the traffic and make it available only to skiers willing to make the hike. Cat track out would be a good idea so people don't get too low. I would also add a permanent fence like what they have at the Jay Peak/Big Jay boundary so people know you are leaving SL property if you jump the fence. Yellow tape has a way of disappearing when the snow flies.

lol. They already do, it's called Bracket Basin. And it's at Sugarloaf.

Those look like some serious lines. One day I'll get up there, but not today.

Brackett Basin is indeed patrolled sidecountry but, from what I've seen, the tree-cutting has made the terrain tame. These backside snowfields can be left in their raw uncut state for a wilder experience. Of course, by all means, put up signs so skiers avoid that cliff wa-loaf is talking about.