• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Swimming! As in swimming laps!

Bostonian

After seeing how overweight and outshape I am, I decided to take up swimming. Back in high school, I was part of the swim team and also the first year in college. So last week, I decided to join up the Boston Sports Club, and swim laps in the pool. I have to say, wow... I don't remember it being this tough! But I am really digging it, and am going 5 days a week or so. I am hoping that this will help condition me through out ski season and then into the next! Are there any other swimmers here?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Yeah, I was a swimmer in High School and some of my 1st year in college.

My events were (in yards) 500 free, 200, free and 200 IM

I belong to the local YMCA, and occasionally put some laps in. I'll usually start out with ~4 100's with 60 seconds rest between sets. Then I'll put in about ~6 to 10 50's with 30 seconds rest, then a few 25's alternating between back and breast. Then I'll warm down by doing a 50 just fooling around.

Swamp Dog

well, I did triathlon for about 10 years so swimming was a necessary evil that I grew to love. Then I ended up working at the local Y, guarding and teaching swim lessons. I did a lot of swimming for a few years.

I've been away from the water for a while now and I miss it. I hope to get back in when my shoulder is all healed.

Here something to shoot for: Chesapeake Bay Swim. I was planning on doing it last year but the date fell on my son's high school graduation. Some day....

Good luck with your comeback in the pool.

Beetlenut

Yep. Started swimming because running was destroying my knees. Started about 5 months before I went out west for the first time. The worst part is the first few months until you build up your aerobic endurance. Best thing I ever did for my skiing. I also use some short fins and a kickboard to really get a good leg workout. I've been doing about two miles a week for about 12 years now. Just getting to the point that I can swim freestyle again after breaking my collar bone at Thanksgiving. It's helped me recover faster too.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Over the last six months I have made an effort to swim once a week. I will try to do as many laps as possible, mixing it up with crawl, backstroke, sidestroke, you feel great afterwards. I started mainly to strengthen my shoulders.