• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Big One Analysis: February 13th, 2014 Storm Observations

skifree

Still hitting mt snow. I should f headed north in the sucker hole. O well.

I've been checking the radar religiously for northern/central VT. They are getting robbed. Almost no snow. Radar over loon looked way better, sad to hear they are doing so poorly. This storm has taken a nasty vertical movement...Maine and Berkshires are the places to be tomorrow :oops::oops:

Nope, storm has barely started up there, plus the radar sucks up there. The beam doesn't pick up precip on the eastern slopes of the mountains.

Friend says its dumping 1-2 inches per hour at Stowe right now. Radar can't pick it up, this happens every nor'easter.

soxfan2

Looking good for whaleback! I bet we have 7+ and the second band should hit overnight....my husband shoveled the driveway, went down to the basement to spin, came up an hour later and shoveled 4 more inches of snow!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MommaBear

Anyone in southern VT? Is it light snow or wet snow? Here in CT it was powdery but then with a switchover, it got heavier with a crust.

flightschool

Nope, storm has barely started up there, plus the radar sucks up there. The beam doesn't pick up precip on the eastern slopes of the mountains.

Friend says its dumping 1-2 inches per hour at Stowe right now. Radar can't pick it up, this happens every nor'easter.

Thanks for the correction - but maybe that is now and when I posted it was different for most of the day.

Just found out the snow is suppose to really pickup around midnight in VT. :-D

Last edited:

Wavewheeler

It's raining here on the Jersey Shore. Glad to be going where it's snowing! Concerned about the winds tomorrow. Saying 20-30mph winds. Yuck. Hope it's not that bad.

jrmagic

Thunder and lightning with sleet in Westchester with dropping temo. Should turn over soon. Love the energy of this system. Wondering who's gonna get to 2 feet first.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Thundersnow here also.

So stressed. Everyone in ny house is sick and I'm stuck tomorrow. Noooooo.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I know Gunstock had 7 inches of fluffy snow on the ground at 5pm today but they've had some mix according to my weather apps. Changing back to snow by 3am. Going to be some interesting conditions when I get there in the morning.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Just found out the snow is suppose to really pickup around midnight in VT. :-D

Well it better start doing something soon, the 1.5 inches we've gotten so far is way below the 6" minimum that I need to make hiking Burke in the morning worth it. HUGE dry slot over VT right now.
Looks like a bunch of HEAVY precip in S NE.

ScottySkis

Another 4 inches of snow on my car since I got home last night around 7 pm about 65 miles away from the Catskills. I bet today will be beyond epic for Lucky ones. Not complaining I had some great snow this winter enough memories and winter isn't over yet.

Savemeasammy

West of Pats Peak we probably have 8-10ish inches total - 2 of which are heavy and wet that fell overnight - along with a period of sleet last night. Hopefully areas west and north of us fared better. This will be a good base-builder for sure. We will need it. Temps next week are not snow-preservation friendly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottySkis

Now I understand why people who live in the mountains drive trucks high clearance. Snow tires don't help when snow is high on curve road that has plows driving but mot clearing snow.

flightschool

Well it better start doing something soon, the 1.5 inches we've gotten so far is way below the 6" minimum that I need to make hiking Burke in the morning worth it. HUGE dry slot over VT right now.
Looks like a bunch of HEAVY precip in S NE.

Give us an update this morning please