• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Nansen Ski Jump

makimono

Was up in the Berlin, NH area over the weekend with my Jeep club and we stopped at the Nansen ski jump for a quick hike. They've recently cleared the landing slope and all around the jump itself - not sure what the plans are for it - but if you google older pics you'll see how completely overgrown it had become. It's pretty darn impressive and the steel structure looks to be in very good condition still, although all the wooden planking is badly deteriorated.

Here's some pics :cool:

20150725_103934_zpswhxf82eg.jpg

20150725_102520_zpskz0qdjmx.jpg

20150725_101147_zpsjxumm5kp.jpg

20150725_100853_zpsspx4jb9v.jpg

20150725_104012_zpsgo5en8yh.jpg

20150725_102022_zpsul7pquuv.jpg

20150725_101552_zpsxpisxae8.jpg

makimono

I didn't but you could...you'd need to be super careful. One of the guys I was with climbed up the lowest tressle onto the stairs (the bottom ten feet of the stairs have been removed) and climbed up onto the jump but didn't go any higher. The stairs going up the jump are the same design as the stairs going up the slope - rotted wood in the middle and only two little tabs on either side are steel - so you'd want to place each step over steel not wood.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What is that steel structure in the third and fourth picture on the slope? The remains of a stairwell?

makimono

Yes that's the staircase going up the slope. It would have originally had ~2x6 wooden treads that were removed at some point.

Newpylong

They are planning to revitalize the jump, and actually build two smaller ones for younger kids. We have a camp in Errol so got to see the progress every drive through this summer. They had dozers on the slope, no thanks.

Surprised the decking is that bad it was entirely replaced with PT in 2017 and two people jumped it. No maintenance since though.

skef

Ha, I came across the jump en route from Saddleback to Loon late this spring.

And there's this post today on unofficalnetworks. Coincidence, or are they trawling the forums for material?

urungus

Ha, I came across the jump en route from Saddleback to Loon late this spring.

And there's this post today on unofficalnetworks. Coincidence, or are they trawling the forums for material?

LOL, I stole it from Unofficial Networks (but then went back to the source article)

Granite1

A side note, NH is the only state in the country that has Ski Jumping as a sanctioned high school varsity sport. About a dozen schools in the state participate, and there are a lot smaller jumps in the state. There's a really cool one in the woods just off the Kancamaugus Highway not to far from Route 16. It's the home hill for the high school team from North Conway. We also have bowling and bass fishing as sanctioned high school sports with state champs every year.

eatskisleep