• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

MidnightJester

Incredible way to wrap things up. Great year i'd say. Slow start strong finish. What ever happened to MidnightJester? Curious about his 1st Magic experience.

Some of us just couldn't let go & there was something happening in the sky yesterday.
Thank you for everyone's advice, tips and little ideas to enjoy Magic. I am alive but tired. Friday(only Magic day) till Monday night till (Tuesday morning(7am) 12 hrs OMG traffic home) pulled over twice to nap for 3 hours out of the 12

So Magic was Magical for a 1st time experience. Only black lift was running Friday but it was enough to get me into Magic. No years of lift issues and just about everything was open or ridable with 20"+ of medium density powder on top of what was there. Wish they had the Red lift open so I would of done a little more on that side at the end. Was very tired as I drove up with no sleep so left 3ish and could of done a few more runs but was looking at 4 days of riding all around coming up (Magic, Killington, Stratton, Jay Peak) @ riding day 23 and trying to find another couple of days I hope : )
1000001294.jpg
Got 14 runs in and found a Wardrobe closet in the Wardrobe : ) or a Place to do something : ) The Voodoo Glade(skiers right of Red lift) was a great run. Would of liked to of done another run in there. Is that a new glade Added by Magic(edit. added in 2017) or has it been there before they re-purchased the mountain?? It isn't even listed as a trail on a map tracking app FATMAP but it is on Magic's handed out map and online pdf map
1000001293.jpg

Interesting edit found a website that has back copies on many if not most trail maps by year in order. Nice : )
2016 MAP
magic2016.jpg
2017 MAP added (White Tiger, Warlock & Voodoo) Glades to Red lift and East side.
pm0x5nybl0o5s22pflc5k5l9mtf0

Last edited:

RustyGroomer

Good stuff Jester. Glad you enjoyed.

Lower Magician Thursday….

Attachments

• IMG_3220.mov
    31.5 MB · Views: 0

slatham

Many of the glades on the map were there prior, just like there are many glades not identified, and hopefully will remain so. There’s a bit of a balance between the desires of the volunteers who each fall spend 3 days (or more) clearing glades, and management who wants to add more glades to the map. No new glades for several years have been added to the map.

I will also bet that ski patrol doesn’t want too many added as daily “sweeps” would get a little out of hand.

rtjcbrown

What is the latest story with the two old hotels on the left side, just before the base lodge?

One was Dostal's, and I forget what the other one was.

ne_skier

I believe the other building right next to the Dostal's main building was just an annex and part of the hotel. Pretty sure they stopped operating as a public hotel in the 2000s, afterward they became employee housing for Stratton and the buildings have been abandoned for at least a decade. My theory for why nothing's happened with the place is because an asbestos abatement would make anything other than letting it sit be cost-prohibitive. Magic stepping up their operations game however could change that.

skithetrees

I believe the other building right next to the Dostal's main building was just an annex and part of the hotel. Pretty sure they stopped operating as a public hotel in the 2000s, afterward they became employee housing for Stratton and the buildings have been abandoned for at least a decade. My theory for why nothing's happened with the place is because an asbestos abatement would make anything other than letting it sit be cost-prohibitive. Magic stepping up their operations game however could change that.
Blue gentian is still going strong. Dostals, at this point, is uninhabitable. I imagine it would be cheaper to tear it down than refurbish. Last I heard, it is owned by the same person as timberside. I imagine once Magic has a good season or two something will come of it now that the black lift is in. That said, it might be hard to justify building lodging if the mountain continues to operate on a Thursday-Sunday schedule.

IceEidolon

am wondering what the download capacity of the black lift is? this would be supplied in the design package.

iirc, most lifts can easily be qualified for 10% { every 10th chair fully loaded downhill } because it takes about 17% to drive an empty lift. with only a 10% load, there would be no chance of forward overhauling. that would be passengers on the downhill side accelerating out of control, and you don't want that. if the lift is designed for even a small download capacity, it would need to be approved by the design engineer and proven by dynamic testing. you'd need to prove the lift can adequately start, control and stop this lower capacity in both directions using the different drive modes. with a regen drive, this is no problem under electric drive on both uphill and downhill directions. I assume the APU has already been proven for 110% uphill, so you'd need to demonstrate it for whatever capacity is assumed is ok on the downhill side. this can be dicey on a used engine, but the load capacity that you desire can be approached incrementally. you need existing brakes and braking surfaces in great condition for this testing. : )

anyhow, once the downhill capacity of the lift is determined you'd need to promise that the line speed would be dropped during loading, construct an unload deck as needed and put up signage. then you can have mountaintop events for the public, likely recouping any expenses in a year or two. like for the next eclipse maybe.
Green is already set up for downloading, plus there's easier non-lift access, Sunshine Corner facilities, etc. I don't think an extra 700' of vertical is worth the added hassle. If no lift was suitable for summer ops you'd have a much better case.

ne_skier

From the latest Alpine Update:
After a little break, our operations team, led by Paul Maitland, is already anxious to get a jump on the 24/25 season with lift maintenance and snowmaking projects over the off-season, and still some on-mountain repair work from last summer's flooding. But the snowmaking pond is back in shape and will be ready to start snowmaking in early November when the first cold snap hits for an early season opening!

The 24/25 season will feature:

- more snowmaking, earlier, for maximum coverage and fantastic grooming on our East and West Side snowmaking trails, plus adding Witch to Black Line to the snowmaking trails;
- the Black Quad, Red Chair and Green Chair ready-to-go for zero lines over the busy holiday periods and peak season;
- more great entertainment, food and beverages at the Black Line Tavern;
- and, most importantly, you! We only do all this for the most laid-back, welcoming and adventurous skiers and riders in the East who enjoy getting after it on the mountain and in Tavern.

skithetrees

“But the snowmaking pond is back in shape and will be ready to start snowmaking in early November when the first cold snap hits for an early season opening.”

Biggest news in there. They really need to be open earlier and have more terrain open the holiday week in order to be a serious player. This is huge if they can execute on it.

letitsnow1

The snowmaking pond was in great shape 12 months ago, alot can happen before November.
It would be great if they made snow on witch to black but without increased capacity I don't know how they can, they can't make sufficient snow on thier existing snow making terrain

urungus

The snowmaking pond was in great shape 12 months ago, alot can happen before November.
It would be great if they made snow on witch to black but without increased capacity I don't know how they can, they can't make sufficient snow on thier existing snow making terrain
The Update does mention “snowmaking projects over the off-season”

Newpylong

Even assuming no floods, horrific weather, or poor operational decisions, "more snowmaking" is only going to be relative without substantial changes to that pumphouse. Then you have adding Witch to Black on top of terrain they already can't cover before the end of February anyway...

Unless "snowmaking projects" includes the aforementioned common pump header at minimum or new pumps (not likely so soon after the Black spend), I would not expect monumental coverage changes. If the stars align I would expect a better start out of the gate though.

Last edited:

slatham

Can’t disagree on need to increase pump capacity, but having been involved with the day to day weather since Ski Magic took over, I can tell you that the #1 problem has been the late start due to various issues, pond being the big one these past 2 years. For instance this past year it was not inconceivable that they could have had a run off green for Thanksgiving Saturday, and easily the weekend after (in fact some natural trails could have opened). That’s a whole month earlier than what happened, all because they lost the very good mid November window, and the one right after thanksgiving.

Newpylong

Additional pumping capacity would help mitigate the effects of the events you describe.

If you did a proper snowmaking analysis (where you break the terrain down into required snow depth, required acre/ft of snow, available equipment, gallons required and temperature buckets at that location), you would find the number of hours needed at current pumping capacity to cover all snowmaking terrain is far beyond what is reasonably available in any given snowmaking season.

Now throw any "event" (weather, equipment failure, etc) into the mix early on and it throws it even more out of wack.

Last edited: