• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ticket Sale Limit - how many is too many for a Hunter Mtn Size mountain ???????

So Inclined

Used to hear the stories of 12 K, with people parking in town.

But they had a swimming pool in the lodge back then, didn't they, amidst what I can only imagine was a swinging Playboy-Club-style atmosphere. So it all evens out I guess?
(Always wanted to see some pics of what things looked like back then, but Google hasn't been much help.)

tumbler

I was thinking do it in the summer, so you would never need to slow the lift to reduce the capacity, unless many trails are closed.

I wish they would take half the chairs off North Lynx. So much capacity for little terrain. I only go up there when I have to for softer snow or spring bumps.

kartski

But they had a swimming pool in the lodge back then, didn't they, amidst what I can only imagine was a swinging Playboy-Club-style atmosphere. So it all evens out I guess?
(Always wanted to see some pics of what things looked like back then, but Google hasn't been much help.)

It was a small kidney shaped one. I started to ski there in the early 80's, after I got out of the service. By then it was boarded over and the space was the original Nursery before the West Wing was built. It would now be behind the Coffee Stand outside the Board Room. I've seen pictures of it a book about the Slutsky's Building up the Mountain. They did try a lot of stuff, plastic pellets on a trail next to the old B-life for summer skiing that made a mess for decades. But, yea, not many vintage pictures on line.

da-bum

I don't think Hunter has the queues for the lifts managed properly. I remember skiing in neighboring windham a very long long time ago, their HSQ had entry from both sides, and each side had 4 or 5 lines, and for much of the day, I remember it being 6+ skiers deep (took over 45min to get on the lift). When it gets that crowded, I head to the east peak and stay there until I absolutely have to come back to base lodge. Same with Hunter..if the HSQ (now 6 pack) is too crowded, head to the F-lift, or if that gets crowded, head to the west. Maybe check out the main mountain after 12pm when everybody went to lunch.

On the other hand, many of hunter's lines are just one group of skier wide, stretching to who knows where.

Now I only go on weekdays, so the only line is the one that forms before the lift opens at 9am.

catskillman

It was a small kidney shaped one. I started to ski there in the early 80's, after I got out of the service. By then it was boarded over and the space was the original Nursery before the West Wing was built. It would now be behind the Coffee Stand outside the Board Room.

if you go in the board room the cement ring from the pool is still visable. Don't trip on it

catskillman

I don't think Hunter has the queues for the lifts managed properly. I remember skiing in neighboring windham a very long long time ago, their HSQ had entry from both sides, and each side had 4 or 5 lines, and for much of the day, I remember it being 6+ skiers deep (took over 45min to get on the lift). When it gets that crowded, I head to the east peak and stay there until I absolutely have to come back to base lodge. Same with Hunter..if the HSQ (now 6 pack) is too crowded, head to the F-lift, or if that gets crowded, head to the west. Maybe check out the main mountain after 12pm when everybody went to lunch.

On the other hand, many of hunter's lines are just one group of skier wide, stretching to who knows where.

All the regulars do that - but lately F, when it is working has huge lines, the Z West side line goes up the hill, the 6pack and B Quad lines meet, and Hunter 1 is a disaster also. It is no wonder that most 1st timers do not come back. Why spend $100 to stand around in the cold?

Smellytele

All the regulars do that - but lately F, when it is working has huge lines, the Z West side line goes up the hill, the 6pack and B Quad lines meet, and Hunter 1 is a disaster also. It is no wonder that most 1st timers do not come back. Why spend $100 to stand around in the cold?

As Kingslug said (and Yogi Berra) - "No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded."

lerops

This is a safety issue. Why are we ok letting regulations tell us how many people a bus can hold, but don’t want that to happen on a mountain?

Yes, it is a more difficult problem. But not impossible to solve with some smart restrictions.

Last edited:

da-bum

I don't know if 1st timers cares as much if they are on the lines forever. I think they do a few runs on Hunter 1 and feel like they had a full day. Plus, Hunter has a package of 3 days of ticket, rental and lessons for $140, all to entice beginners to take up the sport.