• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tips for Whistler

Angus

we'll be coming up from Seattle in a rental. fernie is 9 hours according to google. was considered. another time.

jaja111

Flying into Sea-Tac is the way to go. I would also suggest lodging options in Creekside as that's better if you're not into the "village" apres gig. However, every trip deserves one night out, right? The bus from Creekside to the Village takes 5 minutes max, runs every 10 minutes, and is 2 loonies. I liked Whistler mainly because I didn't feel at all ripped off. Yes, food was expensive but there wasn't a rampant monopoly of $12 pints and $20 hamburgers. I also gotta get in a plug for a first tracks lift ticket. I believe it was $20 more and got you to the mid mountain lodge before sun-up and a huge, HUGE breakfast. I didn't have the snow to enjoy the first hour of "fresh tracks" but we had fun trying to ski stuffed and pocket filled with lunch in pea soup fog.

Also, don't try to ski everything at first. Find a niche and stick with it for a bit.

SIKSKIER

I did the first tracks after the 4 ft storm I mentioned in my last post.It was strange getting on the gondi in total darkness when I was there.The buffet in the Roundhouse lodge was fabulous.

Paul_M

We stayed at Creekside for a week. It suits our low key style, yet was very comfortable, very short walk to the lift. We cooked most of our meals, but there was a couple options for nice dinners as well as the usual pub stuff at the bottom of the lift. Now w the peak to peak gondola I don't think there would be a good reason to stay anywhere else, unless you have to be in the middle of the Village.

snowmonster

Go to the GLC, have a pulled pork poutine. You will love it. Have a Bloody Caesar. The version they had at the Amsterdam Cafe in Whistler Village came with a pepperoni. By the way, that bar has really cute waitresses.=)

Edd

I drove from Sea-Tac when I went a few years ago. I think I'll spring for the extra coin to fly into Vancouver next time to avoid the extra driving and border hassle. If I skip the rental car the price might work out the same.

That bus system at Whistler is sweet.

jaja111

I drove from Sea-Tac when I went a few years ago. I think I'll spring for the extra coin to fly into Vancouver next time to avoid the extra driving and border hassle. If I skip the rental car the price might work out the same.

That bus system at Whistler is sweet.

For a mid January trip booked today (10-29):

Boston to Seattle is currently about $325

Boston to Vancouver is currently about $600

Considering a standard sized car rental is $100 a week, Vancouver is a loser. If you needed an SUV averaging $350 I can see the point fully.

SIKSKIER

I'm with you on the price diff but what's your time worth to you.Drive time between the 2 is a minimum of 2 hours at best.Add in the average 1 hour at customs and multiply by 2 and you have a minimum of 6 hours plus the cost of the rental car.I'll pay the extra few hundred dollars and take a bus.

Edd

I'm with you on the price diff but what's your time worth to you.Drive time between the 2 is a minimum of 2 hours at best.Add in the average 1 hour at customs and multiply by 2 and you have a minimum of 6 hours plus the cost of the rental car.I'll pay the extra few hundred dollars and take a bus.

Bingo. Unless the price difference is staggering.

Angus

can't believe how expensive accommodations are at whistler. I guess when going out west before NM, UT, WY, always stayed off mountain. hate to spend $$ for essentially a bed - maybe I'm cheap.