• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Transitioning to Skis.(beginner-intermediate, gear recommendation)

JohnJack24

I used to snowboard but just transitioned to skis. I have one season under my belt using my buddies "line traveling circus 2015 162cm with Full Tilt Booters 2015". I am not a park skier, and they are too short for me, so this set up has been holding me back.

I want something that would be beginner-intermediate, I have picked it up fairly quick and think with a new set up I'd be closer to intermediate especially by the end of the season. Something that can get the job done no matter where I'm at on the mountain.

I am 5'9.5 and 165lbs.

This is what my buddies have told me to look for "You should go non twin tip 171 all mountain ski that's more stiff and is on the heavier side. You can get any kind of binding you want but make sure it has a din setting of at least 12."

Do you have any recommendations on skis/boots/bindings I should be looking. I get pro-deals on "armada, atomic, and salomon" products, specifically 2021s. Right now I've done a bit of research on salomon qst 85 and atomic vantage 86c.

asnowmobiler

I think you are on the right track with your ski choices, they are both a mid level ski that should be great to progress with.
As for boots, you should really find a shop with a highly qualified boot fitter.
My boot fitter does not sell boots. After an hour or so evaluation, he recommends a couple to buy, then you go back and see what will work best and then works his magic. Then return the other boots.
Where are you located?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I used to snowboard but just transitioned to skis. I have one season under my belt using my buddies "line traveling circus 2015 162cm with Full Tilt Booters 2015". I am not a park skier, and they are too short for me, so this set up has been holding me back.

I want something that would be beginner-intermediate, I have picked it up fairly quick and think with a new set up I'd be closer to intermediate especially by the end of the season. Something that can get the job done no matter where I'm at on the mountain.

I am 5'9.5 and 165lbs.

This is what my buddies have told me to look for "You should go non twin tip 171 all mountain ski that's more stiff and is on the heavier side. You can get any kind of binding you want but make sure it has a din setting of at least 12."

Do you have any recommendations on skis/boots/bindings I should be looking. I get pro-deals on "armada, atomic, and salomon" products, specifically 2021s. Right now I've done a bit of research on salomon qst 85 and atomic vantage 86c.
welcome to AlpineZone!

JohnJack24

I think you are on the right track with your ski choices, they are both a mid level ski that should be great to progress with.
As for boots, you should really find a shop with a highly qualified boot fitter.
My boot fitter does not sell boots. After an hour or so evaluation, he recommends a couple to buy, then you go back and see what will work best and then works his magic. Then return the other boots.
Where are you located?
Thank you for the reply! I planned on grabbing my skis/bindings online with my pro-deal. Then am going to go to a local boot fitter to make sure I can feel what they will be like on my feet and ensure that I have a proper fit.

I am located an hour for Gore Mountain, and 1hr 45mins from Mountain Snow. Mountain snow is where I spend majority of my time skiing.

Do you have any specifics I should keep in mind when looking for boots like stiffness, flexibility ect? I know that I should make sure they are true to size and not go slightly bigger since that will cause problems as your start breaking them in.

asnowmobiler

"Do you have any specifics I should keep in mind when looking for boots like stiffness, flexibility ect? I know that I should make sure they are true to size and not go slightly bigger since that will cause problems as your start breaking them in."

Too many variables to make any recommendation on boots, your boot fitter will need to do a complete evaluation and then go from there. Go to a few shops and talk to the fitters that work there till you find someone you feel you can trust.
I'm sure there are some good one up that way and hopefully someone can chime in, unfortunately this sight is more about bitching about things than it is about helping people like yourself.
I kind of remember hearing that there was a very good one that used to work at Mt Snow that has now has opened his own place near there.

gladerider

ok. since you asked. i will give you my boot fitter. highly recommend Alpine Options on sugarbush access road.
master boot fitter. best i've experienced.
everybody has a different foot anatomy and going there with a boot will limit what he can do. good luck.

dblskifanatic

I am 5'9.5 and 165lbs.

Rossignol Experience 74 is another consideration. As far as having a binding that has a top din of 12 is not that important. You probably will not ski aggressively and you are not heavy or tall. If those are a factor than a beginner-intermediate ski would not be good. Sounds like that is not the case so based on your height weight and skill level I doubt that they would set the din any higher than 6.5. Look NX 10 would be fine.

As far as boots, as a beginner-intermediate go for something in the 70-90 flex range this is different across ski boot makers and is not a standard. Foot width is of consideration a narrow last in the 98-99 for narrow feet up to 102-104 for wider feet and 100-101 mid range of course. Also go for comfort!

JohnJack24

Thank you everyone!!!

Ended up going with the salomon QST 92, my local boot fitter has both skis and told me the QST was the better option. Also found out Atomic is ditching the vantage series and making a new design called maverick next season. I was told they it will be better quality than the QST for anyone who ends up reading this thread.

Dickc

I’m surprised no one mentioned Demo days to the OP. Demo days are cheap, (10 buck fee) and allow you to try varied skis from varied manufacturers. I have demoed my last 4 pairs of skis against others before buying. You can sometimes find some gems, and other times find skis you cannot wait to get off of and hand back to the rep! (Atomic Crimson in 2008, worst ski I have EVER demo’ed!!). Sunday River seems to have Thanksgiving weekend locked up as “their” time slot, but the demos happen here and there over the winter at other resorts. In 2-3 years when you are a better skier, try the Demo days to see what is out there.

cdskier

I’m surprised no one mentioned Demo days to the OP. Demo days are cheap, (10 buck fee) and allow you to try varied skis from varied manufacturers. I have demoed my last 4 pairs of skis against others before buying. You can sometimes find some gems, and other times find skis you cannot wait to get off of and hand back to the rep! (Atomic Crimson in 2008, worst ski I have EVER demo’ed!!). Sunday River seems to have Thanksgiving weekend locked up as “their” time slot, but the demos happen here and there over the winter at other resorts. In 2-3 years when you are a better skier, try the Demo days to see what is out there.
I absolutely agree with demoing...although are events like that still taking place this year? That might be why no one mentioned them. Ironically the very last turns of last season for me were on skis I was demoing from a local ski shop (and ended up buying). I had no idea at the time those would be my last runs.

Worst ski that I ever demo'd was something from Elan (can't remember what as this was probably in the 15-20 year ago range). It felt like I had lead 2x4s on my feet.

puckoach

Ski shops near mountains will have demo skis. Various deals. Rental price going towards purchase as a credit can work well.

I have done this a few times, as has my bride. Two or three pairs at a time.