• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TRAVEL BAN -- Mass and CT

bdfreetuna

What the f*ck!! After 4:00PM today nobody on the roads in Mass.... punishable up to 1 year in prison and $500 fine.

I think CT is the same deal.

What a bunch of pussies! I'm pissed! Good luck trying to go skiing tomorrow if you live in MA or CT!

bastards

AdironRider

Just heard this as well. East coast has gone soft.

A year in jail for going out in the snow. Am I sure I want to move back?

dmc

yes yes... way more important that people can go skiing and entertain themselves than not risking emergency vehicles stuck because and SUV flipped over on the way to my snow....

Either go now or don't... Very simple..

AdironRider

I am, and thankfully I think you are correct.

Im more commenting on the fact that in the seven years Ive been gone, stuff like this seems to be happening more and more for really no reason.

I was going to high school in Boston in 03 when we got 27". It was nowhere near the madness it seems is happening with this one.

abc

Just heard this as well. East coast has gone soft.

A year in jail for going out in the snow. Am I sure I want to move back?
It's "up to 1 year", just like many other moving violation. It's quite unlikely that'll actually happen even if you're caught on the highway, more likely you'll ONLY get fined. ;-)

I can't help to find such complain a bit on the self-centered side...

AdironRider

I know I was embellishing a bit.

Does anyone really think this is a public safety thing and not a money grab, because you know there are going to be thousands of tickets for this....

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am, and thankfully I think you are correct.

Im more commenting on the fact that in the seven years Ive been gone, stuff like this seems to be happening more and more for really no reason.

I was going to high school in Boston in 03 when we got 27". It was nowhere near the madness it seems is happening with this one.

+1. Way overkill here. The hype is just unreal. Folks need to use some commonsense and be smart about what they are doing.

dmc

I know I was embellishing a bit.

Does anyone really think this is a public safety thing and not a money grab, because you know there are going to be thousands of tickets for this....

I don't think it's a money grab.. i think it's a warning.

I blame the "my SUV can make it through anything" crowd... I checked that CT site... and there are already a ton of accidents...

skijay

The ban refers to "state roads" - which I believe means ones that are maintained by the State of MA DOT. I don't think it refers to local roads where the towns / cities maintain.

skijay

Thanks Abubob for the CT link. CTTransit (the bus service) is winding down service by 6pm, so I would imagine a ban in CT would be at 6pm.

emmaurice2

I blame the "my SUV can make it through anything" crowd...
Yes. Just got back from Mohawk. On the way home two SUVs nearly slid across the road into me, one right after the other. Both were going way too fast for the conditions. This was on a state road. Snow is coming down faster than the plows can manage.

bigbob

That is not a bridge, but the shuttle bus that was set up while the Memorial Bridge is replaced. There is no bridge ther now, only pieces!

AdironRider

I was going to say, how did they close a bridge that no longer exists?

gregnye

The truth is that nowadays people don't have advanced planning or common sense. They don't take simple things with them in the car like a blanket, an emergency flashlight, a toolkit and other simple things. This is why the law has to be more strict--not because of you A-ZONER's (you guys have common sense) but because of the clueless-common people that want to "ski the powder" too and will sue people if their car flips over.

AdironRider

The truth is that nowadays people don't have advanced planning or common sense. They don't take simple things with them in the car like a blanket, an emergency flashlight, a toolkit and other simple things. This is why the law has to be more strict--not because of you A-ZONER's (you guys have common sense) but because of the clueless-common people that want to "ski the powder" too and will sue people if their car flips over.

Was this really any different back in the day?

I think people have become less self-sufficient and with less personal responsibility.