• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Travis Rice rode "Line of the Year" first

C-Rex

Breakout12

C-Rex

jimk

The Cody Townsend line of the year story got amazingly wide coverage in the general media. I had non-skiers pointing it out to me. Either through luck or design his media machine got that one to go viral. Even getting "scooped" Travis Rice will probably get more coverage than if he put his video out first just by being in the afterglow of a viral explosion.

C-Rex

Travis doesn't seem to be too bothered by it, especially since Cody owned up to it. Rice does some extremely nutty stuff. I'm sure there will be things in the Art of Flight sequel that make The Crack look tame. It's a super cool line, don't get me wrong. And I almost certainly wouldn't have the cajones to try it, but many skiers and snowboarders have done lines that are both more dangerous and more impressive. Terje Haakonsen's big line (peak 7601) in First Descent comes to mind. It's so much bigger and more exposed and that was like 10 years ago.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess opinions vary, but I don't find Terje's line as ballsy. It's big, it's steep, but he's got room to turn and chuck speed. You could probably ski that line a lot slower than Terje did if you wanted to. And don't get me wrong, I'd never ski Terje's line either. Not a chance.

The Travis / Cody line is a pure on straightline with no way of skiing it slow. That to me is much scarier.

C-Rex

I guess opinions vary, but I don't find Terje's line as ballsy. It's big, it's steep, but he's got room to turn and chuck speed. You could probably ski that line a lot slower than Terje did if you wanted to. And don't get me wrong, I'd never ski Terje's line either. Not a chance.

The Travis / Cody line is a pure on straightline with no way of skiing it slow. That to me is much scarier.

I don't know. From the POV it looks like there is more room in there than it seems from the outside. And if you fall you'll probably just slide down to the runout, if you don't pinball off the walls anyway. Terje's line; you fall, you die. I don't want to start an ongoing arguement, just my opinion. I'm certainly not trying to downplay the Crack at all. This is probably better debated by people who actually do this kind of stuff, while they sit on their hippity-hop sized balls, and look down on us mere mortals with contempt.

dlague

If you look at Cody's run again and look at the snow, you can tell that someone was there before. In any case, Cody came out and told the story before the news got it out!

C-Rex

To his credit, I don't think he ever claimed first descent. Someone probably called and said, "Dude, you won Line of the Year, brah!!!" And he was like, "Killer, brah! That line was so pitted!"