• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine Drawn by James Niehues - Kickstarter

Cannonball

I've been following that discussion over on TFT. It's an interesting idea. But I'm not so sure I'd want to see Tuckerman look like every other ski area in the country. Niehues is a master of what he does and his style is unmistakable. But his style is now intrinsically connected to the look of regular trail maps with marked runs etc. It would be odd to see Tucks look that way. I wonder if he's done any other non-resort maps that could serve as an example.

dmc

longsPeak_mSize.jpg
KickingHorseCAN.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
He should expand it to include all named runs on the mountain, not just tux. *runs and hides* :p

dmc

yes... i took it down when i was going to update it with the new water source...
But found out my Flash license had expired...

msheppard

And why does he need money to do it? I'm sure he can make money off it anyway.
He's lowered his typical commission fee a lot for this project. Monies from any other sales will go towards the volunteer ski patrol.

M@

msheppard

He should expand it to include all named runs on the mountain, not just tux. *runs and hides* :p
I thought of this - and am going to work it so that it's only a map of the obvious runs in the Ravine + Hillman's area vs. a trail guide to the slides etc... I'm a show no tell kinda skier myself.

M@

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Up next, landscapers planting flowers around lunch rocks.

menguap_1.png

I'm sorry, but to me looks like nothing more than a self promotion for the artist. There are plenty of good pics and renditions of tux already.

bobbutts

Up next, landscapers planting flowers around lunch rocks.

View attachment 7861

I'm sorry, but to me looks like nothing more than a self promotion for the artist. There are plenty of good pics and renditions of tux already.
Hello! the people who want to map contacted James, not the other way around. Way to be negative though, good post.

bobbutts

It's not "any artist"
He's the only name in trail maps, don't believe me, look for his sig on the maps everywhere you go. Considering the amount of work and material that goes into his maps, it's a bargain.
It would be great if he'd donate his work, but I don't see this as a situation where that would be expected.

Cannonball

It's not "any artist"
He's the only name in trail maps, don't believe me, look for his sig on the maps everywhere you go. Considering the amount of work and material that goes into his maps, it's a bargain.
It would be great if he'd donate his work, but I don't see this as a situation where that would be expected.

+1

My issue is not with him getting paid. Of course he should. And cripes, he was contacted, why is anyone knocking him?

My issue is with choosing an artist who is the "only name in trail maps " to paint tux. I don't want to see it looking like a regular, generic, ski resort. Will they start selling disposable trail maps at Pinkham Notch?