• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman's questions

dmc

Thanks for the info Rivercoil. When I have been there, I've seen a good many start out midway. Apparently using someone else's bench???

Good idea... We don't need a bunch of "benches" cut all over the place... :)

Transitioning is the scariest part for me... I've HAD to transition before. Once was climbing Hillmans later in the day. Was bright and sunny... But near the top - just after the split - we started getting into shadow and didn't have our cramps and ax's.. Footholds were getting smaller and the snow was getting harder so we couldn't kick steps. there were a few people in the line so going down wasn't an option. In this case I stepped over to the krummholz and found a safe place to switch over...
If I had crampons and ax I would've been to the top in not time... But as mentioned... Not a good idea in a climbing line...

SIKSKIER

Bottom line is be prepared for all conditions and be ready to scrap the actual bowl itself if conditions are marginal.No need to be a hero and force yourself just cuz you hiked in.95% of time there will be something to ski at this time of year,at least the Sherburne if the bowl is sketchy.The great part is you generally will ski what you hike so you'll know what the snow and pitch will be before you drop in.

dmc

I must admit I've never climbed Dodge before I've ridden it..

Angus

I must admit I've never climbed Dodge before I've ridden it..

are you recommending skiing Dodge for a first time visitor? It's over by Hillmans, maybe a run on each and call it a day?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Take the advice of those that say that if you use crampons, be sure to have an ax. Be sure to familiarize yourself with self arrest technique, other wise you risk serious injury. Check weather, prepare for any weather, I like to minimize weight (yeah right) but make sure I have layers. Other than that don't over think it and just:

dmc

I'll admit I've never done Dodge's from the top.Got pretty sketched out and went back to Hillmans..

We get a good look at it from Hojos and the walk over to Hillmans..
It's pretty sweet..

And some say modern skiing was started there... They had to adjust techniques to ski that steep narrow stuff back in the day...

dmc

are you recommending skiing Dodge for a first time visitor? It's over by Hillmans, maybe a run on each and call it a day?

Not sure i said that... But - why not?

I've taken people over to Dodges that were first time visitors....
It's about ability and someone having the knowledge to get you there and back safely..

Tuckerman scares the crap out of people and it is dangerous.. But the routes are pretty easy and spottable... Add the rangers daily reports and your good.. Airplane and Pipeline on the other side I wouldn't be so encouraging.. :) But I've directed people over to Oaks before and even the GOS...

dmc

Get there early so you can park at PNVC. When that's full, you'll have to park at Wildcat. That will add another mile to your hike.

Actually that's probably the best advice of the thread right there..

Also careful where you park... Tickets...