• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

twin tips for beginner-intermediate?

af78838n

Hello everyone! This is my first posting here. I want to refresh my gear so here is the deal: I need twin-tips that are easy to ski and forgiving. I am 5'11'' and 230 lbs and I am beginner-intermediate skiing 90% on groomed trails of the Northeast where it gets pretty packed and icy but once a year may be getting to the Rockys to powder. I know you would probably say that I should go for regular but I really want twin tips. Price range is $600 but that include bindings so actually something like 450-500! Would really appreciate your help.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Just for posterity why so adamant on the twin tips? I like them also but am curious on the need.

Where do you typically ski?

vinnyv11

I agree I just started skiing and couldn't imagine skiing with a fat twin tipped ski espcially since you'll mostly be on trail as a beginner.

BenedictGomez

I cant imagine twin tips being a good choice for a beginner.

I learned how to ski backwards long before it was called "switch", and one thing I learned while on my first pair of twin tips last year (Line Prophet 90s) is that it's MUCH easier to ski backwards on them. As a beginner, if you're going backwards it's likely inadvertent, and I dont think I'd want skis that help promote downhill movement backwards.

snoseek

Aren't most skis twin tipped these days anyhow?

Find a good park ski in the mid 80's. It's probably going to be fairly soft so maybe not a terrible idea if you want to try park at some point.
I suggest buying a smaller company for skiers, made by skiers. In my experience they take abuse much better than rossis, k2's ect...and are usually cheaper (less marketing?)

af78838n

Just for posterity why so adamant on the twin tips? I like them also but am curious on the need.

Where do you typically ski?

Just got back from killington. when skiing local usually blue mt. in PA.

bobbutts

I've had a couple pairs of twins, the K2 public enemies were very forgiving and skied everything ok except speed. I'd recommend those to anyone but they're many years out of date now. Something similar would be good and the price was very low. You can choose to mount twins either park or alpine, go with alpine unless your goal is going backwards.

abc

Twin tips are cheating!

That said, I got them because I do sometimes ski backward on purpose. They ski shorter than their advertised length. That's probably why the OP wants it. A shorter ski without LOOKING stupidly short.

More over, twin tips are pas se. The new fad out west is rockers! I skied a pair of rockered fatty and must admit they skied fabulously!

JDMRoma

Twin tips are cheating!
More over, twin tips are pas se. The new fad out west is rockers! I skied a pair of rockered fatty and must admit they skied fabulously!

Just got into my first twin tip last month, and they are full Rockers........Fun in the trees and Great on the groomers.
Not sure they would fit into your price range but I bought a pair of Volkl Gotama's with Marker Griffon Schizo bindings.
Im into them for just around $650, Got the ski's of Ebay and Bindings from a local shop.
I upsized them +1 from my carving skis, they really do ski shorter....in a good way !
Rocker is the way to go for sure........Im sure all the manufacturers will have twins with the new Rocker Technology. !