• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Unenrolled Voters - Open Primaries in VT, MA - March 1st

Highway Star

VTKilarney

In Vermont, there is no such thing as an "unenrolled voter." You are either registered to vote or you are not registered. There is no requirement to identify a party affiliation - at least for voting purposes. If you are registered to vote, on primary day you merely walk in and request which party's primary ballot you would like. You can only request one.

The only downside is that if one party does not have a contested primary, people who identify with that party can try to "game" the other party's results.

bdfreetuna

aka being Independent. Thanks for the news flash. Every independent voter already knew that.

VTK unenrolled in a party is not the same as not being registered to vote.

VTKilarney

VTK unenrolled in a party is not the same as not being registered to vote.
I'm well aware of that. Let me clarify because you missed it. In Vermont, you do not enroll or otherwise register with a political party for voting purposes. There is simply no mechanism to do so. Thus, there is no such thing as being "unenrolled" with a party. If you can't enroll in the first place, you most certainly cannot unenroll.

And why am I explaining this to someone who can't even vote in Vermont????

Last edited:

Highway Star

I've never voted in a primary and was not aware that MA and VT had open primaries, until I looked it up today.

In MA, it's not called "independent", it's actually called "unenrolled".

hammer

I've never voted in a primary and was not aware that MA and VT had open primaries, until I looked it up today.

In MA, it's not called "independent", it's actually called "unenrolled".
Yup...in MA (at least the town I live in) if you were unenrolled you used to have to fill out a form to enroll with a party, vote in the primary for that party, and then fill out a form to unenroll.