• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail giving out speeding tickets to skiers

drjeff

If you've never been to Vail, my guess is you can't comprehend how crazy crowded it can get in certain bottleneck junction areas!! My guess is out of their roughly 6000 acres, the "police" are handing out sanctions on maybe 6 to 10 of those acres, and frankly if you're ripping through a congested bottle neck area, its not about you, but about everyone on the hill at that moment!

snoseek

If you've never been to Vail, my guess is you can't comprehend how crazy crowded it can get in certain bottleneck junction areas!! My guess is out of their roughly 6000 acres, the "police" are handing out sanctions on maybe 6 to 10 of those acres, and frankly if you're ripping through a congested bottle neck area, its not about you, but about everyone on the hill at that moment!

Exactly this. If you're ripping down a crowded novice slope then IMO that's sorta lame. Plenty of better places for that. They generally set up at the same spots everyday, with giant yellow signs so its not like it difficult to avoid speed traps. You'll never seem them on a remotely advanced trail. I'm personally ok with it as there's a lot of overconfident skiers in these places.

All tickets and passes are RF, so they can simply scan you on the spot easily and deny access. Generally they just ask you to dial it back. 3.5 years and 300 plus days at Vail resorts in California and I've never had anything more than a verbal warning.

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
Do they use a radar gun? That would be pretty funny

This was at Beaver Creek just before the finish of Birds of Prey. I didn't see anyone with a radar gun but then again I was skiing kinda fast... j/k
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-27-23-19-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-27-23-19-33.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 47