• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Days Down From 4.7 Million to 3.2 Million for 2015-2016

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The worst part is that all the snowmaking that was constantly being put down on the slopes vitually all season must have cost the resorts huge amounts of money per skier visit. Granted it kept the season from being a completely unskiable but I have to imagine there was a fine line being walked there to keep from going into too deep of a hole.

BenedictGomez

The NSAA had the northeast down 28%, so at down 32% the Ski Vermont figures are even worse than that data.

I believe it, as I typically ski about 15 days a season in Vermont, and I believe I did 3 this year, so I was down 80%. It's my fault.

abc

I don't recall how many days I did the last few years. But I know it's quite a bit more than the 4 I did last season.

[EDIT] Actually, those were days in the NORTHEAST. For VT, it's only 2 days last season.

Last edited:

Jully

The worst part is that all the snowmaking that was constantly being put down on the slopes vitually all season must have cost the resorts huge amounts of money per skier visit. Granted it kept the season from being a completely unskiable but I have to imagine there was a fine line being walked there to keep from going into too deep of a hole.

It obviously doesn't apply to smaller areas with tight budgets, but for larger resorts, I always thought that compared to the fixed costs, like the land, facilities, loans for lifts etc, the cost of snowmaking was actually rather minimal. As in resorts don't lose all that much money by spending 50% more on snowmaking for a given season, especially if that 50% can get people to come back the next year, or even increase their visits that year.

Could be completely wrong though, I've never actually worked at or for a ski resort.

dlague

I did my part, 37 days all in VT.

Is that above normal for you?

I don't recall how many days I did the last few years. But I know it's quite a bit more than the 4 I did last season.

Based on another thread that discussed unused ticket it sounded like many on here that had ski 3 or 5 passes did not used them all. In fact, we used 2 out of 3 days. We also skipped skiing at Jay Peak, Burke and Pico which we customarily did. We did not do spring skiing at Killington this season either. So technically it was partially my fault too!

chuckstah

Last season I had 32 days in VT. This season 6, all but one in May. I skied almost exclusivly on my pass this season in NH and Maine. I did my part to tank VT numbers.

4aprice

Based on another thread that discussed unused ticket it sounded like many on here that had ski 3 or 5 passes did not used them all.

Wife and I each had a Vermont 5 pass, used 0. Did not set foot in the state. Normally between 10-15 days. Hope to be back to normal next season with at least 15 at K, Pico and Stratton.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Newpylong

It obviously doesn't apply to smaller areas with tight budgets, but for larger resorts, I always thought that compared to the fixed costs, like the land, facilities, loans for lifts etc, the cost of snowmaking was actually rather minimal. As in resorts don't lose all that much money by spending 50% more on snowmaking for a given season, especially if that 50% can get people to come back the next year, or even increase their visits that year.

Could be completely wrong though, I've never actually worked at or for a ski resort.

No, the same applies to ski areas of all sizes. Snowmaking is one of if not the most expensive cost of operating a hill in the East. Having to spend the same amount and only getting 70% of your normal traffic is no bueno.

drjeff

I added 42 to that total - basically my average give or take a day or 2 - throw in the rest of my family and we contributed about 150 days to VT's total

Edd

I normally make it to VT at least a couple of days a year. 0 days this season.

deadheadskier

Staff member
0 this year when normally I'm in VT 5-8ish days a season in recent years. That decision was made prior to the season though. Having a newborn I wanted to stick closer to home and do all day trips in NH. Next year I'll be back in VT at least 3 days.

abc

all but one in May.
Ironically. normally I ski quite a few days in April/May. But this year, I was just so exhausted from all the fly-away trips that I just veg out at home much of the month May. (April was spend at Banff, not too shabby. Just doesn't help VT numbers)

steamboat1

Yeah it really sucked in VT. this year.

Don't go there.

Especially central VT. north

Sucked big time.

Much better south

Please stay there

Just think of all the driving time you'll save

Hope everyone bought a Peak Pass

LMAO

Last edited:

fbrissette

I was at 32 ski days, down from my normal 50 or so.

And frankly, if I did not have a season's pass, it would have been 10 or so.

Don't go there.

Sucked big time.

Much better south

Please stay there

LMAO

abc

Don't go there.

Sucked big time.

Much better south

Please stay there

LMAO
Well, that's not too far from the truth the last couple seasons! Storm hit south rather than north...

steamboat1

Well, that's not too far from the truth the last couple seasons! Storm hit south rather than north...
Not as I recall. In fact I remember the winter before last areas from Killington north getting hammered with a storm of a couple of feet in March & everything south of there getting all rain. Had a friend at Okemo who called me that night in VT. who said it rained all day at Okemo. I told him it snowed all day at K. He was still in Ludlow & said it was pouring when he called. Asked me what it was doing & told him it was still snowing down in Pittsford which is in the valley. It was light snow too, not heavy wet snow.