• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VIDEO of man Following skitracks off cliff in Telluride CO..CLose call for this guy..

Highway Star

Would be even better if it was the iPhone app Skitracks he was following....

skiNEwhere

At 46 seconds you can barely see a discolored disc that says "cliff".

Not very well marked though

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
wow!! holy crap that's intense. Lots of tracks leading up to the cliff. what happened to the guy? He was OK?

MidnightJester

A bunch of people either crashed like he did and rode away mostly intact or Stomped that cliff drop/jump. Hope most regular people know about that Cliff. As a new person doing a new mountain that is a rough go to catch before its too late he didn't seem to be going that fast either. Reminds me of Kirkwood where you can ride off cliffs very easily. INBOUNDS major (death) cliffs at Tahoe Kirkwood.

snoseek

Whoa, insane!

It takes a lot of time for me to get comfy riding areas peppered with cliffs, more than just a couple days. Above poster mentions Kirkwood, yeah it took me two years of skiing there regularly to know that mountain and pick up the pace. I still am sketched out by killebrew at the heave.

How big was that? Damn!

MadMadWorld

That's just crazy. If you are coming over a ridge like that and don't know the terrain it's probably a good idea to stop and scope it out first. I'm sure he will never make that mistake again

dlague

Who hasn't followed a couple or tracks going into woods and trees and wonders what is over the next lip or past the next few branches when first riding that line. WOW...................

That is a skier/snowboarders nightmare! I am not a cliff hucker so I would definitely have panicked as this guy did. You could see him trying to turn or stop and went off sideways making matters worse. He is lucky to come away with just a shoulder injury. Know the trails!

My other nightmare - making a fast hard turn on a tight trail and hitting ice! Has not happened yet but there have been times where I thought about it!

MidnightJester

Reminds me alot of this...

LIKE LEMMINGS. IF there were more it would of been scary hysterical. Waiting for that on a Snow Mountain with the Gopro's these days. You can see it in a future news story now. 5 skiers/boarders hurt and killed each with a different video. Though it was just a little drop, I was following my buddy, Then OMG, HOLLY SHIT. The Skydiving video of the two planes hitting each other from 4 different gopros is WILD like that.

Last edited:

darent

I was following someone at Winter Park and just about went over a serious cliff. It was a good thing I figured out that the person I was skiing with was lost and stopped. I slid over a few feet and the cliff was a sheer drop!!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
The guy in the Vid veered to the left , he might have made it if he went right.
Went off a clif at Sunshine Village,.....Thought I saw a set of tracks between two trees , at the last minute found I was in error and launched off a cliff ( about 30' drop and close to a lift) and hit a snowdrift downwind side of a large pine tree , almost made it to the downside of the drift....went back with more speed and bought it again........Powder = no pain

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. Crazy. Agree with snoseek that it is a different game out here and you do have to be careful because cliffs do sneak up on you. I still ski things cautiously at Snowbird and Alta. In 2011 a nice line in the woods at Snowbird early season with no tracks. I skied along until I came to "CLIFF" signs. Yeah, they weren't kidding...I was on the top of the "High Speed Double" and had to hike 10 minutes back UP to the trail.

BackLoafRiver

This video popped up somewhere else...TGR maybe? I guess that area in particular is well known for "sucker tracks". Easily one of my biggest fears. There are so many wide open spaces to explore that if you are unfamiliar, it could go badly.

Savemeasammy

I went over a cliff at Alpine Meadows once a little by surprise. It was in heavy snow, and I was skiing a line I was familiar with. I knew the cliff was there, but I came upon it sooner than expected. The visibility was so bad that I was actually SURPRISED to be airborne! It was only of the 10-15 foot variety, so no harm was done.

As for the guy in the video, I can't imagine not pausing to see what's ahead... Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

skiNEwhere

I think squaw valley is the worst when it comes to cliffs, at least of all the places I've skied. They do put up signs for cliffs, but whether it's a 5 foot or 40 foot drop it's all the same signage, which is how I ended up on the latter!

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Wow! That guy had no clue! I wonder if he would have fared better if he just went for it? Probably not, didnt seem to have enough speed anyways. That mtb video is pretty funny though (if they are all ok).

I have had a few moments like that offroading with my dirt bike where you hit a jump or take a drop bigger than you were expecting. All that you can do is wait for the ground to come....