• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Watch the rocket tonight

jimk

My company manufactured the fuel tanks in that bad boy

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

You got some 'splainin' to do!
I went to the Chincoteague area twice this summer for relaxing beach weekends. Toured the NASA Wallops Visitor Center in August. Thankful no loss of life. About 20 years ago I attended a briefing/tour in the launch center for my work.

ctenidae

“The asset stopped, there was some, let’s say, disassembly of the first stage, after which it fell to earth,” said Culbertson, in a deadpan description of an explosion that could be seen for miles and terrified observers.

Apt description.

steamboat1

The first stage, which blew up, was Russian made. This administration has gutted NASA to the point they can't even engineer their own rockets anymore. How's NASA's mission to reach out to Muslims working out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antares_(rocket)

The first stage uses RP-1 (kerosene) and liquid oxygen (LOX) as propellants, powering two Aerojet AJ-26 engines, which are modified Soviet-built NK-33engines. Together they produce 3,265 kilonewtons (734,000 lb[SUB]f[/SUB]) of thrust at sea level and 3,630 kN (816,100 lb[SUB]f[/SUB]) in vacuum.[SUP][6][/SUP] As Orbital has little experience with large liquid stages and LOX propellant, some of the Antares first stage work was contracted to the Ukrainian Yuzhnoye SDO, designers of the Zenit series.[SUP][10][/SUP] The core provided by Yuzhnoye includes propellant tanks, pressurization tanks, valves, sensors, feed lines, tubing, wiring and other associated hardware

legalskier

This administration has gutted NASA to the point they can't even engineer their own rockets anymore. How's NASA's mission to reach out to Muslims working out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antares_(rocket)
Not sure I'm following. You believe this rocket failure had something to do with Muslims? Or with budget cuts? Please note that the cuts started many years ago (http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=4031), and the first four launches of this rocket type were successful (as your own cite confirms), so I don't see any connection between budget cuts and this particular failure, though I personally disagree with the cuts. Also, the US has been cooperating with the Soviets/Russians for many decades (http://www.nasa.gov/50th/50th_magazine/coldWarCoOp.html), and they have been in space longer than us.

JimG.

Staff member
Really sorry I didn't pay attention and watch for this. Was it too light still at 6:19 to really see anything from the NE?

Puck it

Not sure I'm following. You believe this rocket failure had something to do with Muslims? Or with budget cuts? Please note that the cuts started many years ago (http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=4031), and the first four launches of this rocket type were successful (as your own cite confirms), so I don't see any connection between budget cuts and this particular failure, though I personally disagree with the cuts. Also, the US has been cooperating with the Soviets/Russians for many decades (http://www.nasa.gov/50th/50th_magazine/coldWarCoOp.html), and they have been in space longer than us.

And it was a private launch vehicle being developed for NASA.

jimk

Really sorry I didn't pay attention and watch for this. Was it too light still at 6:19 to really see anything from the NE?
It was fairly dark, but the rocket only got a few hundred feet off the ground before exploding. Only people in the local area would have seen the fireworks show. Maybe some old Russian made rocket motors to blame?
Thought strikes me: I wonder how many dangerous duds like this we're keeping in silos out west as part of our very old nuclear ICBM aresenal:flame:

Puck it

It was fairly dark, but the rocket only got a few hundred feet off the ground before exploding. Only people in the local area would have seen the fireworks show. Maybe some old Russian made rocket motors to blame?
Thought strikes me: I wonder how many dangerous duds like this we're keeping in silos out west as part of our very old nuclear ICBM aresenal:flame:
Kinda hard to test a controlled explosion.

ctenidae

I'm just upset the astronaut's Halloween treats got all blowed up. Now we'll never know what it was going to be.

bigbog

Thought strikes me: I wonder how many dangerous duds like this we're keeping in silos out west as part of our very old nuclear ICBM aresenal...

There've been successes and failures on both sides...US/Russian, but leave it to an Corporate American committee to choose the less expensive toy. You're not the only one jimk. Components failing...ie issues with private contractor designs...often in physically moving and QC and theoretical modeling is not something I put a lot of stock in...fwiw. Better having Minutemen as the majority of ICBMs sitting in the ground.

Last edited:

ctenidae

It is funny how both sides of any question are so good at latching on to anything that can be used to prove their point to themselves. When NASA rockets blow (blew) up, it was because the program is bloated and inefficient. When private business rockets blow up it's because they're profit-driven cheapskates.

I wish NASA, as well as other science-focused parts of the government, had sufficient funding to perform the basic research and development they are good at. I can think of quite a few places the funding could come from...

JimG.

Staff member

I would have paid to be there; the shockwave is visible in some of the videos.

Cannon Gray

On April 30, NASA announced the selection of SpaceX, Blue Origin and Dynetics as companies to develop lunar lander projects for the Artemis space program.