• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Whales" or "wales"?

Puck it

2000px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

bdfreetuna

Beg to differ. You can tune a piano but you can't tune a downward velocity vector on Bunny Buster.

Something was funky with the GPS on my old phone. I would get some pretty high "peak" numbers consistently.

Initially I was enthused thinking the app must be right, and that perhaps I did hit a very high "peak" speed. Besides, who doesn't want a forum handle synonymous with the Platonic definition of speed itself?

Have not tried the app since switching phones. Not particularly interested in doing speed runs this year. Dialing it back in some ways so I can keep it going. TunaSpeed(TM) is whatever speed you're skiing as fast as you can.

dlague

Something was funky with the GPS on my old phone. I would get some pretty high "peak" numbers consistently.

Initially I was enthused thinking the app must be right, and that perhaps I did hit a very high "peak" speed. Besides, who doesn't want a forum handle synonymous with the Platonic definition of speed itself?

Have not tried the app since switching phones. Not particularly interested in doing speed runs this year. Dialing it back in some ways so I can keep it going. TunaSpeed(TM) is whatever speed you're skiing as fast as you can.
I remember the whole debate and it was entertaining!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

From my junior racing days, I can tell you 1st hand that the radar gun, speed trap, full downhill suit wearing in a downhill race, 64mph I was once clocked at on a pair of 215's was a WAY different experience than my max speed on trace snow, 55mph, which was done while wearing full snowpants and a winter jacket, while on 185's in a loose tuck - I fully take ski app GPS speeds with a BIG grain of salt!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

From my junior racing days, I can tell you 1st hand that the radar gun, speed trap, full downhill suit wearing in a downhill race, 64mph I was once clocked at on a pair of 215's was a WAY different experience than my max speed on trace snow, 55mph, which was done while wearing full snowpants and a winter jacket, while on 185's in a loose tuck - I fully take ski app GPS speeds with a BIG grain of salt!!

+1000

Hawkshot99

Not saying Trace and other apps are 100% accurate, but modern technology can give very good data.
I have spent a decent amount of time in triple digits on motorcycles, so am familiar with the feel of wind on a body.
My top reading is 81 mph on skis. A pair of WC 35M skis from my rossi rep was the ski of the day. Can I confirm a true top speed of 81? Not entirely sure but based on motorcycle riding in the neiborhood. The 10 second top speed was 65.
Is it gospel? No, but it's fun to compare with buddies.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app