• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where Should I ski Saturday?

Where should I ski Saturday?

• Gunstock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cannon

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Ragged

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Sunapee

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xwhaler

Trying to decide where to ski on Saturday. Thinking best combination of value/price, drive time from home, conditions (spring bumps please!), terrain variety, crowds. I enjoy variety and have been to Ragged and Gunstock 2x this season already so already I'm leaning towards Sunapee/Cannon. I wouldn't mind checking out Wildcat or Bretton Woods but a little far for a solo spring day trip.

What does everyone think?

The contenders are:
Gunstock $22 after Liftopia credit 1 hr 5 mins from home
Cannon $35 2 for 1 1 hr 40 mins
Ragged $32 1 hr 20 mins
Sunapee $41 1 hr 10 mins

Quietman

I'll be at Crotched. They are allowing all season pass holders to ski for free, even if your pass doesn't cover weekends.

All CM 2012-13 Season Passes including Midweek, Blue Skies @ Nite, Midnight Madness & 5/7 School will be accepted this weekend!
Pass Holders may bring their friends & family members who do not have season passes for a special discounted lift ticket rate of $29. Friends & family members must be present with pass holder at Ticket Window in order to receive discounted rates.

JimG.

Staff member
I think it's tremendous that you have so many choices where to ski in early April that you have to ask others for feedback.

Quite a change from last year.

As for where to go, I'd pick Cannon even though it is furthest for you. I always go with the biggest mountain available and it looks like you have not been there this season.

JDMRoma

Bretton Woods is $29 dollars for the rest of the season.... a little further but conditions look to be very good there right now.

Robbski

I picked Ragged and Sunapee for you but if Cannon is in good shape that would be a sweet choice. I was at Ragged last Saturday and there was a whole of snow left on the mountain. I haven't been to Sunapee yet this year but it is a lot of fun in the spring when the crowds lighten up (make sure you wax though.)

C-Rex

Make a trip to Jay. From What I've seen and heard conditions are pretty all-time for April skiing.

Savemeasammy

If you are hoping for bumps, Sunapee only has 2 partial, short bump runs. Neither is very steep. Despite the fact that sunapee is 35 minutes from my house, and I have a free ticket that I still need to use, I am going to make the 2+ hour trek to Wildcat!

tonaldo

Cannon. The conditions there are great right now (100% open). The Front Five are just awesome in the afternoon with bumps on Zoomer, Gary's, and Paulie's.

dlague

Not sure what you are looking for or what type of skier! If you are looking for more difficult terrain - then go to Cannon! If Ragged, Gunstock or Sunapee are suitable then go the Bretton woods for $29 even though it is not on your list!

We were there (BW) on Sunday and the conditions were great! The glades there are nothing to write home about but they were in great shape! We were also at Ragged on Saturday and everything was great there too!

We are heading to VT - lots of nice conditions everywhere! Excellent stuff for early April!

xwhaler

Cannon. The conditions there are great right now (100% open). The Front Five are just awesome in the afternoon with bumps on Zoomer, Gary's, and Paulie's.

Nice, I'm leaning towards Cannon right now even though it is the furthest....bumps forming on the Front 5 :daffy:
Anyone have a sense if the BodeFest on Saturday will bring out big crowds?

tonaldo

Not sure what kind of crowd comes out for Bodefest. They will be on Gary's at 9:30 and then doing the race off the Eagle Cliff triple at 10:30. The top of the mountain should be the place to be in the morning. There is a cookout from 11:30 to 1:00 at the base so that will be the place to avoid. I imagine the frontside should be pretty empty during that time. The snow should get nice and soft and bumped up in the afternoon and the front will be at its best (the pitch will counteract the stickiness). I skied there all day Easter and the crowd was non-existent. Never more than 10 people in front of me at a lift.

Smellytele

Where are you on the seacoast? Wildcat shows only 10 mins longer than Cannon and 15 more to BW from Portsmouth. I think I saw some where though you mentioned Exeter area so yes that would be 20 extra to BW and 35 to Wildcat.

xwhaler

Where are you on the seacoast? Wildcat shows only 10 mins longer than Cannon and 15 more to BW from Portsmouth. I think I saw some where though you mentioned Exeter area so yes that would be 20 extra to BW and 35 to Wildcat.

I'm in Epping on the far western side of town near Raymond so I can be to 93 in Manchester in under 20 mins. Sticking to the 93/89 side is more desirable for me for this trip. I'd love to hit Wildcat or BW but we're talking 2:15 likely to both each way which is a bit much for a solo trip. The nice thing abt Cannon is that I don't need to decide tomorrow like I will with the other buying liftopia tickets. I suppose too I can find someone in line on the 2fer (as that other thread showed!)

Smellytele

I'm in Epping on the far western side of town near Raymond so I can be to 93 in Manchester in under 20 mins. Sticking to the 93/89 side is more desirable for me for this trip. I'd love to hit Wildcat or BW but we're talking 2:15 likely to both each way which is a bit much for a solo trip. The nice thing abt Cannon is that I don't need to decide tomorrow like I will with the other buying liftopia tickets. I suppose too I can find someone in line on the 2fer (as that other thread showed!)

Oh okay so not really seacoast. BW is now only $29 by the way but like you said it is about 20- 25 mins further than Cannon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd pick Cannon. Gunstock has great coverage, but the run outs in the slow spring snow are brutal. I was at Ragged a couple of weeks ago and the moguls were just okay; best on Exhibition, but that's rather flat. Even with Bodefest, I would suspect the crowds at Sunapee to be equal that of Cannon. Wish I didn't have to work, otherwise I'd join you.

If you decide to ski both days this weekend, I'll be at Gunstock on Sunday to close out their season.

NotEasyBeingGreen

I feel so much improvement in my skiing this year that there are some trails at Stowe I'd really love to hit before winding down the season. Trying to convince the family that with all the new snow, it will be worth getting up at 5, driving 3.5 hours, skiing our butts off and then driving 3.5 hours home. Have spent too much money this year for an overnighter, sadly.

57stevey

Conditions at Cannon today were ridiculously good. Everyone I encountered just had a s**t-eating grin all day long.

xwhaler

Gunstock has great coverage, but the run outs in the slow spring snow are brutal. I was at Ragged a couple of weeks ago and the moguls were just okay; best on Exhibition, but that's rather flat. Even with Bodefest, I would suspect the crowds at Sunapee to be equal that of Cannon. Wish I didn't have to work, otherwise I'd join you.

If you decide to ski both days this weekend, I'll be at Gunstock on Sunday to close out their season.

The run outs at Gunstock do concern me on the slower spring days. I was thinking Ragged may have bumps on Showboat but I guess not? I'd enjoy making turns with ya DHS but Sunday is a amily day. I should be free next Saturday though so if your gonna head somewhere let me know.