• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

where to Christmas?

KustyTheKlown

Was gonna do copper/wp with some friends but they've flake'd due to his wife's family Christmas obligations. As an athiest from a Jewish background, I don't have such concerns. Girlfriend will be visiting her family and I'm excused so long as I'm back by 12/27 when she and I will be going to tremblant and Montreal for NYE. this leaves me with some options for solo skiing. What do we think will be the best of these choices? All involve solo travel, comparable airfare and hotel and car costs (aside from the east, which is prob more expensive lodging but gas instead of airfare), and all are free lift tix

East coast - go wherever the max pass getting is good. Downside = needing to drive back to NYC to scoop girlfriend on 12/27

Colorado - copper/wp/eldora

Utah - solitude/Brighton

Washington - crystal

Where can we expect the best snow Xmas?

BenedictGomez

Where can we expect the best snow Xmas?

Ask again around December 10th. It really is just way too early to say. You cant go by those "fall predictions" of snowfall, as the assumptions they're based on can easily (and often do) fall apart. I think it's safe to say, however, you can cross "East Coast" off your list above.

Jully

Ask again around December 10th. It really is just way too early to say. You cant go by those "fall predictions" of snowfall, as the assumptions they're based on can easily (and often do) fall apart. I think it's safe to say, however, you can cross "East Coast" off your list above.

Yeah if out west is an option for Christmas time, then that trump's the east everytime IMO

KustyTheKlown

Yea, it's annoying. I want to get a good deal on air but I don't want to be snow fucked. I've reserved cheap refundable hotels in each destination.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Hard to say where the best snow would be. Why are you limiting yourself to Brighton and Solitude out here? Pass option I imagine? Brighton usually opens early FWIW and they do make a considerable amount of snow. It is a good bet but no lodging there.

KustyTheKlown

Yea max pass. I'd prob liftopia one day at bird

If I am solo, I'd stay in midvale along the bus route or rent a car with turo

KustyTheKlown

Washington is attractive. $355 flight at the exact times I need it. $48/night for a room in eumenclaw under 30 miles from crystal, $175 4wd vehicle rental, recreational legal weed stores. 4.5 ski days under $800. All the La Niña talk favors pacNW (I know they've been walking back the La Niña predictions), and last year they had an epic december. I may pull the trigger and roll the dice on snow.

jimk

Sol/Bright?? Your odds of getting good snow at the higher Wasatch resorts are as good or better than just about anywhere at that time. Brighton, Scree Slope in the Millicent area, Jan 3, 2011:
DSCN0343.jpg

If solo, how about the dorm in the Brighton Lodge: http://www.brightonresort.com/stay/lodging/

KustyTheKlown

Sol/Bright?? Your odds of getting good snow at the higher Wasatch resorts are as good or better than just about anywhere at that time. If solo how about the dorm in the Brighton Lodge: http://www.brightonresort.com/stay/lodging/

Way way cheaper to stay in town and rent a car or take the buses. Like not even close. $44 a night for the midvale motel 6 where I've stayed solo in the past.

Crystal has had some epic epic Decembers but it's such a damn crapshoot

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yea max pass. I'd prob liftopia one day at bird

If I am solo, I'd stay in midvale along the bus route or rent a car with turo

FWIW you can also get discount tickets at local stores....although they may be blacked out for the holidays.

Also consider Snowbasin since they blow A LOT of snow and get a fair amount. Also real quiet.

KustyTheKlown

Yea if I'm spending money on top of my pass, it's gonna be Alta bird, just how it is. But I'm leaning towards Washington state at the moment. Cheapest flight option surprisingly and comparable cheap hotel to SLC.

4aprice

Looking at some of the forecasts (yea I know a dart board might be as accurate) Washington may be a good choice (further north). Big Sky might be in a sitting pretty too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looking at some of the forecasts (yea I know a dart board might be as accurate) Washington may be a good choice (further north). Big Sky might be in a sitting pretty too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

The forecasts changed recently....with us getting a bit more moisture. Fingers crossed.

4aprice

The forecasts changed recently....with us getting a bit more moisture. Fingers crossed.

I certainly happy to hear that and hope so. Joe Bastardi had Utah in the normal snowfall range with Colorado a little above, a little above avg temps for the west as a whole. All 3 of those I'll take as above avg temps doesn't always mean less snow and average in Utah is sweet.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

KustyTheKlown

Follow the snow, but breaking up a trip out West seems ridiculous...

I need to break it up because of my girlfriend. she spares me Xmas with her family, but I need to get back by the 27th to be with her thru New Years. Since our New Years plan is to ski, and I have the time, it makes more sense to go out west for 5 ski days and then come back to ski New Years weekend with her, as opposed to driving from NYC to Vermont to NYC to tremblant. And lodging is so much cheaper, I'm basically staying in a Seattle suburb. Rooms in VT from 12/21-26 wouldn't be $40 a night.

I pulled the trigger on Washington. Couldn't turn down $360 direct flights at the exact times I need. Car/flight/hotel came in under $850. Lift tix are max pass. Food is an expense no matter where I am. Will get 5 ski days (4 at crystal and one at alpental), will check out Seattle for the first time, and will link up with an old non-skier buddy who lives out there. Then I fly home and go to tremblant for 3 ski days and nye at a swank Montreal restaurant.

Stoked. Winter is soon.

Jully

Those are some sweet prices on plane tickets for sure. Any idea on how quickly those prices increase and how cheap they were in comparison to Utah fights?