• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to ski if you live in Foxboro/Franklin area in Mass….

soxfan2

Hi everyone, we are in negotiations to sell our house here in NH. If this deal falls through, we are pretty sure it will sell in the spring. Anyway, our kids are in the core program here at Whaleback. It's run by some pretty good skiers and they work on a lot of skills- (Giant slalom, jumping, moguls.) the kids (ages 6 and 8) really love to ski. It's their "sport." I really want to find a mountain down there that has a good ski race training program, and I have NO idea where that would be. We would be living in Franklin, Mass. We also have the option of skiing up here (Ragged, Whaleback) during the winter on the weekends, as my parents house would be available since they go to florida for the winter. What do you guys think?

Angus

You have four choices 1) Blue Hills, 2) Nashoba, 3) Wachusett and 4) Ward Hill. I don't have any specifics but the closest would be BH and I'm dubious of any sort of kids race program they might have - and doubt they have one. The problem with the others is distance. With quick access to 495, you could reach them all within 75 minutes with WaWa the outlier and Ward Hill only 30-40 minutes.

soxfan2

You have four choices 1) Blue Hills, 2) Nashoba, 3) Wachusett and 4) Ward Hill. I don't have any specifics but the closest would be BH and I'm dubious of any sort of kids race program they might have - and doubt they have one. The problem with the others is distance. With quick access to 495, you could reach them all within 75 minutes with WaWa the outlier and Ward Hill only 30-40 minutes.

Thanks! It would be a 2.5 hour drive to ski Ragged or WB (depending on whether they get their shit together for next year- fingers crossed.) So we could leave Friday night, and stay all weekend up here at my parents house. Is that a better option as far as programs/terrain than skiing in Mass?

soxfan2

I've looked into WaWa. It's freaking expensive but it looks like it's a lot of fun?

ScottySkis

I don't know how far it is but Catamont has lots of family the 2 times I been their this year on NY MA border. I hear great things about Berkshire East you might want to check them out. Probably best if you check out the area this winter rent cheap hotel and travel to local hills and see what looks like.

Tin

I had a friend in high school who was heavily involved in the Ski Ward program and loved it. His mother would drive him the hour plus from my town there. I will send him a message on FB. I've heard more about the race team than the hill itself.

Skiing is pricey, but be grateful they don't play hockey lol. I don't know how my parents did it, a few grand every winter and at the rink 3-4 nights after work and then traveling on weekends.

soxfan2

I had a friend in high school who was heavily involved in the Ski Ward program and loved it. His mother would drive him the hour plus from my town there. I will send him a message on FB. I've heard more about the race team than the hill itself.

Thanks Tin, my husband is actually working in Providence, RI. We are going to look in East Greenwich for houses as well….

Tin

EG has the best public schools in the state but is very very pricey to say the least. I live on the East Side of Providence and work here as well. Northern RI is a great place to live (Cumberland, Smithfield, etc) plus very close to 146 and other ways to get north to the mountains. The good part in RI is everything is close, but cost of living is crazy, I believe only two or three states (Connecticut being one) are worse.

Last edited:

The Sneak

East Greenwich downtown has great restaurants, bars, everyday essentials stuff (groceries, coffee shops, liquor stores, hardware stores etc) and EG is 15 min to beaches and 15 min to Providence. The 'Hill and Harbor' section of town is great...walk to everything with easy highway access.

Having said that, EG is a bit snooty. Surburban bland snooty. I love that there is a flophouse weekly rate old time hotel with dive bar right in the middle of downtown. It's a big wet fart in the face of 'Restoration Hardware: the Town'.

:) at least 20 yrs ago in Franklin you would have ez access to the mighty Klein Innsbruck. I patrolled there!

- born and raised in the 508, live in so RI (not EG)

Last edited:

jack97

Just another consideration about moving to Foxboro, might want to consider what area you lived at. Sundays during the fall and winter may have football traffic.

My parent's house was close BC's football stadium, in the fall when they had home games, the traffic would be bad... real bad.