• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to take my dad on Monday 2/17 - considering Pico...any other suggestions?

The Sneak

Me: All around bad-ass (on the internet), fairly proficient skier (look like a champ at Wachusett and don't embarrass myself in the trees or ungroomed up north). Willing to drive 3 hours each way from the Providence area.

Dad: early 60s, intermediate at best, rarely skis anymore. Plays tennis 3x a week so he's in decent shape. Prefers groomers.

I am going to take him somewhere Monday 2/17. They live in the greater Providence area and my tolerance for day trips is 3 hrs each way. Were it a regular weekday I'd say Stratton due to my Wa Wa pass discount, or maybe Mt Snow. He loves Loon, but forget about it and WV/BWoods due to school vacation.

So, I was thinking Pico. Never been there. Assuming they get 10" or so out of this storm, they should be in good shape, no? Anyone been there this year? Ever?

If not Pico...where else?

Abominable

Pico will be good. Bunch of reports from last weekend here: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/128248-Pico-2-8-14-amp-2-9-14

If they get another foot everything should be in play. The mountain isn't as crowded as others, so you might find some fresh lines here and there. And there's a chance of more snow on tap for Monday.

Pico would be a good choice, good groomers top to bottom, and some other areas with woods / moguls to explore. Only downside is if Killington is hammered, there may be significant spillover. But I think by Monday you should be good.

MadMadWorld

Pico is a great option for vaca week. Lots of great terrain for intermediates and some decent glades off the top.

gmcunni

pico sounds like a good match up for you guys. just there, they have great coverage right now and the storm will make it even better.

Okemo would also be a place that comes to mind but due to vacation schedules it will likely be more crowded.

i'll throw bromely and magic too. magic's got a few(2?) easy routes down from the top (by few i mean it could be boring by the afternoon if that is all you are hitting) but could be a winner with "Dad you go that way and I'll go this way and we'll meet at the bottom" a few times during the day.

legalskier

Pico is terrific, but keep in mind that it's actually part of Killington and you're going during the busiest week of the season. Plus, it's 3 and a half hours from downtown Providence, doable but kind of far for a day trip.
Magic and Bromley are 3 hours away and should be less crowded. There's also Mt Snow, which has a nice variety of terrain- but again, it's a holiday period.

The Sneak

ugh. He is pushing for Okemo.

I am a big Magic fan and quite familiar with it but I don't think it's his kind of place

Abominable

I didn't realize we were talking day trip here, I'm changing my vote to Berkshire East.

2.5 hours, great groomers, great trees, dollar Schaeffers, better value all around. AAA rate for tickets, should be about 55 bucks. I've never really run into crowds there either. If they get real busy they're good about opening the secondary summit lift.

Magic would cool too, but BEast will have more reliable conditions, more appropriate for Pops, and they are gonna get hammered between now and Friday.

The Sneak

Yeah I was actually planning on BEast solo saturday, so a return wouldn't exactly bum me out.

The Sneak

blue patagonia jacket, grey pants, black helmet, infamously not stolen prophet 90s. hopefully on the hill by 9.

jrmagic

Magic is in good shape and has a decent amount of terrain for an intermediate however the east side natural trails haven't had enough snow on them to groom them which would reduce his options. Presidents day is tough to avoid crowds what about something like Gunstock? If only half of NH has vacation that week that might work out OK.

Savemeasammy

Mount Sunapee would be right up your dad's alley. Pretty much everything on the main mountain is intermediate terrain (even though they have "black diamonds").

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mildcat

What about Cannon? Good mix of trails for both of you and three hours even from Providence.

xlr8r

Me: All around bad-ass (on the internet), fairly proficient skier (look like a champ at Wachusett and don't embarrass myself in the trees or ungroomed up north). Willing to drive 3 hours each way from the Providence area.

Dad: early 60s, intermediate at best, rarely skis anymore. Plays tennis 3x a week so he's in decent shape. Prefers groomers.

I am going to take him somewhere Monday 2/17. They live in the greater Providence area and my tolerance for day trips is 3 hrs each way. Were it a regular weekday I'd say Stratton due to my Wa Wa pass discount, or maybe Mt Snow. He loves Loon, but forget about it and WV/BWoods due to school vacation.

So, I was thinking Pico. Never been there. Assuming they get 10" or so out of this storm, they should be in good shape, no? Anyone been there this year? Ever?

If not Pico...where else?

Just an FYI, any Wachusett season pass gets you a free Express Card at Killington giving you 25% of weekend/peak tickets, and 50% off midweek. It also gets you the same percentages off Pico only tickets as well. Great deal for Wachusett skiers as to buy an Express Card costs $129 which is over half the price of a bronze Wawa pass itself. Also you don't ever need to go to the ticket window at either Killington or Pico once you get the card, first scan each day takes the discounted price off your credit card.

steamboat1

If you decide to go to Pico you can pick up $49 lift tickets at the Potter Bros. store located at the the base of the Killington access road (good anytime). They picked up a ton of snow Fri. morning & it snowed all day. It was still snowing hard when I left at 3pm. Drove home this morning & from what I could see from the valley it looked like it was still snowing up on the mountains this morning. Skiing was excellent & there were no crowds Fri., ski right onto the summit chair all day. Don't know what crowds will be like Mon. but even when the parking lot is over flowing there is seldom any wait for the summit chair & a minimal wait at the base. Even K was empty when I skied there Wed.-Thurs. No lines at all, even for K-1.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Pico is a go. Heading up tmrw. Thx for the heads up on discounted tix @ Potter Brothers.

I don't think Potter Brothers mountain shops sell discount tickets for the mountains. Call the shop. Have a great time with your dad snowsneAk.

steamboat1

Scotty you are correct. I called the Killington shop & they "DO NOT" sell the discount lift tickets at that location. You would need to pick them up at one of their other locations (Poughkeepsie. Fishkill, Kingston). I'm sorry for giving out bad information, I'd just assumed tickets were available at all their locations.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
A short day trip under 2-hours from Boston with minimal liftlines and a reasonable vertical drop? Two choices. Berkshire East has already been mentioned. Crotched Mt. is your other.