• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wide lower calf

S

sterf63

I have very thick calves - the lower part of my calf is 14" in circumference that attach to size 7 feet. Can anyone suggest a boot to accommodate?

Thanks!

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I am in Technica Rival 8X, before this I was in Solomon Evolution 8.0's and before that I had a pair of Dalbello's that had an enormously wide calf. My calves are quite wide and in the Dalbello's I had at least 3 inches to play with. They were made especially for women with wide calves...I don't remember their model name, sorry.

Many of the newer boots have made considerations for wide calves. Many have several locations you can move the buckles to using a wrench they include with the boot.

The BEST recommendation I can give you is to go to a reputable ski shop with a boot fitter that can work on the boot if it needs to be tweaked for you.

S

sterf63

Thank you!

Thank you for your input - I have seen bootfitters and have a pair of Salomon Performa 6.0 boots that they made tolerable, however these boots are not nearly stiff enough for my skiing ability. Once I get a pair that I can get my legs into I will certainly do some tweeking.

bigbog

....Footbeds help out immensely...and get an alignment appointment with somebody...., but to have the footbeds made before you start trying on boots...?? (I have always had mine in when trying on a boot....but???...maybe not necessarily the right move..?)
*Check with a bootfitter, he may be able to put in a small screw (or two) connecting the cuff with back section, thus stiffening it up....??
Maybe a "Booster-Strap" will stiffen the flex a bit & will help with your cuff-Fit once your boot guy attacks that rear cuff....

Steve

Vortex

I changed my liner to a back county type liner very warm and soft kind of did a heat form fit., the liner compresses so my boot fits better. May just be a quirk fix, I did it at Ski Fanatics in Campton at their suggestion..

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
Same problem...

I have a very large right calf due to ankle injuries in the past. I've ALWAYS had a tough time getting fitted for a boot. The only boots I've been able to find which seem to fit (at all) have been Salomons. I tried Dalbellos and others but most I couldn't even buckle.

I have a pair of Evolutions (can't remember the number) they're about 3 seasons old right now. I actually had them cusomized a little while ago. Went with custom footbed and custom liners. Cost a few bucks but it's been worth it. While they were at it they moved my buckles out a bit to make it easier for me to buckle my boot. It was work to get it buckled before. Much better now.

Not sure what I'll do when it's time for another boot. I have large feet (size 14), which I figured would give me a larger calfsize but it doesn't seem so.

I feel your pain.

Beetlenut

I also have the same problem with calf-pinch. I went to an Atomic boot (formerly SanMarco I belive) and with custom footbeds and Booster-straps, I haven't had any problems and get great lateral stiffness from them. :D

B

beswift

Boots

If a boot maker has to change their last, it costs them considerably. That's why over the years they optain reputations for fit that stick. If you change your last, you can modify the shell. However, usually when a company tries to modify the way their boots fit, they either change their inner boot (adding or taking away soft product) or add various adjustments, straps, ect. Consequently, I would look into Dolomite's boots. They used to fit very well to large calfs or wide feet. San Marco used to be the narrow boot (not Lange), I don't know how they have changed, though. Head took over a very good bootmaker and now offers three widths in their shells. This makes it much easier for boot-fitters.

L

LarryNH914

Strands ski shop in Wocester - Strolz boots.

I have EEE feet and wide calves as well.

The ONLY boot I have been comfortable after years of trying out boots and getting them streached and expanded (which they always rebounded) etc, are Strolz.

I used to have to ski in incredible pain till my feet went to sleep, then all was better, except it is good to feel you feet when skiing at times.

They come with footbeads and foam injection.

I forget the Guy's name at Strands, but he took 2-3 hours to fit me.

For the calf, he had a big calf shaped liqor bottle that he tighted the boot around and heated the shell till it fit my calfs. (it never rebounded, like the plastic on other boots).

He has much experience in this area.... Strolz are not cheap ($750 l2 years ago), but they last and good boots are a great investment.

I have heard there is a Strolz Dealer in Raymond, NH.. Price is $950 from their web site. http://www.strolzusa.com/

the ONLY boot made that can accomodate my EEE feet, I tried them all.

Larry

B

beswift

Re: Strands ski shop in Wocester - Strolz boots.

LarryNH914 said:
The ONLY boot I have been comfortable after years of trying out boots and getting them streached and expanded (which they always rebounded) etc, are Strolz.
Do they still make a boot with an internal heat system?
LarryNH914 said:
I used to have to ski in incredible pain till my feet went to sleep, then all was better, except it is good to feel you feet when skiing at times.
That usually is due to a pinched nerve which runs down the rear of your leg from what I have been told.

LarryNH914 said:
I forget the Guy's name at He has much experience in this area....
Lief.
LarryNH914 said:
I have heard there is a Strolz Dealer in Raymond, NH.. Price is $950 from their web site. http://www.strolzusa.com/ .
That's an old and some what inadequate website. I was wondering if they still make the Boot with an internal heat system, but I couldn't tell from the website.

L

LarryNH914

I don't know if they do make the heating system, but Strands cerrtainly had systems you could use with this boot, as well as others, that I thin was integrated with the liner.

MY pain had nothing to do with pressure on my leg, I have a wide toe box, and the pain was right there where my foot was the widest.

But Strands does have much experience with Orthopedic and special foot cases like mine. My boot investment made a HUGE difference in my enjoyment of skiing.

Oh, and I got the link for the guy in Ramond NH wrong, it is:
http://www.strolzboots.com/

Larry

L

LarryNH914

I don't know if they do make the heating system, but Strands cerrtainly had systems you could use with this boot, as well as others, that I thin was integrated with the liner.

MY pain had nothing to do with pressure on my leg, I have a wide toe box, and the pain was right there where my foot was the widest.

But Strands does have much experience with Orthopedic and special foot cases like mine. My boot investment made a HUGE difference in my enjoyment of skiing.

Oh, and I got the link for the guy in Ramond NH wrong, it is:
http://www.strolzboots.com/

Larry

B

beswift

LarryNH914 said:
They used to have an internal heat system (I believe they were the first) like Lange where the battery was built into the boot. I realize (in fact I own a Hotronics) that there are after-market products with external batteries. However, I used the Lange system for a decade and am not all that excited about the Hotronics. Unfortunately Lange gave it up.

Terry

wide calfs

I bought the hotronics system this year and so far have been very happy with them. Of course we haven't had any super cold yet, but I have skied on some days when my feet would have been chilly. So far the battery packs have not been in the way. This was a concern for me, but hasn't bothered. :beer:

skidon

Yo Beetlenut, Atomic boots used to be Koflachs. Head boots used to be SanMarcos. (Rossis were Cabers, too) FYI, yáll, no boot brand makes in-the-boot, while-you-ski heaters anymore. (Tecnica has its Hot Form system, but that's only for customizing the fit and drying/warming the boots. Some models of Atomics come pre-wired for Thermic heaters - you still need to buy the batteries and charger.) Hotronics, properly installed, do not alter the fit of the boots noticeably and are the best add-on heaters by far.

D

dulce75

large calves? Dolomite DC 60 L

I'm a size 9 (mondo 26) and my calves are 18 in at the widest part....a whole 4 inches larger than yours, and I found the Dolomite DC 60 L's to fit wonderfully (with just a few adjustments). I have been searching for years to find something to replace my 16 year old Raischle boots which hurt like heck. You might give them a try:)