• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildfire Threatens Big Bear and Snow Summit California

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Radford Fire started over the holiday weekend and is now over 300 acres in size.

There are reports that crews at the ski areas have set up sprinklers and charged snowmaking lines to prevent damage to lifts and structures.

Last season, the Caldor Fire all but destroyed Sierra at Tahoe, that was closed for the 2021-2022 season. Now two are potentially in the crosshairs. :(

jaytrem

Ughhh, at least they have snowmaking and I assume pump from a giant lake.

IceEidolon

Couple thousand GPM while the power lasts - that's enough to protect the lodge and hopefully lift terminals and outbuildings but probably not enough to protect the whole resort.

mbedle

Couple thousand GPM while the power lasts - that's enough to protect the lodge and hopefully lift terminals and outbuildings but probably not enough to protect the whole resort.
Agree and that's the problem that Sierra at Tahoe had with significant damage to the lift towers and the trees, which created a big safety issue. I will say that based on the cams, it does look like they are charging / running some of the guns along the trails with them pointed into the woods - https://bensweather.com/webcams.php

jaytrem

Add Brundage to the list

Guess it's not a matter of if, but when some resort out West gets completely torched.
Yeah, seems like we constantly see ski areas being threatened these days. Not that long ago it felt like a couple years between them. Or maybe I tend to only remember the ones that got hit, like Pajarito and Apache.

thetrailboss

Staff member