• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Americans be Allowed to Ski in Canada Next Winter?

urungus

May work, but the US restrictions on non essential cross border travel were just extended until August 21st at least. Good luck.
The extension to Aug 21 only covers land, ferry, and commuter rail travel, not air travel, and additionally it only applies to non-US citizens. If Howie has a US passport and a vaccination card, he should be fine to cross the border using any form of transportation in both directions starting Aug 9

Last edited:

VTKilarney

If I go to Canada (traveling by car), do I need proof of a negative test within 72 hours of returning to the United States?

For some reason I have not been able to find an answer.

dblskifanatic

Canada is opening to Americans on August 9th.

You need a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arriving, and you may be selected for a random test on arrival - which presumably you will need to pay for.

As much as I was hoping to casually visit Canada this summer, I think that I will wait until the restrictions have eased somewhat.

I find this interesting - the border is opening then but a friend of mine just flew into Boston from Montreal. He is here for a week then returning. He did that trip twice during ski season. So you can fly in and out but not drive.

dblskifanatic

Well with all the ruckus with Covid spikes with the delta variant - expect things to change. On the Cape, 130 vaccinated people got Covid Delta. It turns out the J&J vaccination is not very effective against it.

urungus

If I go to Canada (traveling by car), do I need proof of a negative test within 72 hours of returning to the United States?

For some reason I have not been able to find an answer.

Hmm, they only mention air travel on the CDC site.

• All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.

2Planker

I find this interesting - the border is opening then but a friend of mine just flew into Boston from Montreal. He is here for a week then returning. He did that trip twice during ski season. So you can fly in and out but not drive.
Exactly. I flew roundtip from Boston to Quebec City a few weeks ago.

HowieT2

We pulled the plug on the BC trip. gonna drive to VT and then Quebec for a few days.

dblskifanatic

That is a very confusing document. Talks about getting tested 72 hour prior vaccinated or not then it talks about arrival testing vaccinated or not and then talks about border changes and getting through if vaccinated.

fbrissette

That is a very confusing document. Talks about getting tested 72 hour prior vaccinated or not then it talks about arrival testing vaccinated or not and then talks about border changes and getting through if vaccinated.
My understanding from the Canadian side: if you are fully vaccinated, you only need a 72-h negative test (not an antigen test) to enter. No quarantine needed. You need to use the arriveCAN app to fill out the forms PRIOR to arriving at the border.

The arrival test is a random thing for statistics. You will likely not need it. If you are selected it is either an 'on the spot test' or a kit you take with you for a later self-test. The arrival test is free.