• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will Americans be Allowed to Ski in Canada Next Winter?

BenedictGomez

True, but definitely misleading and you were well aware of that.

Not really, each country chose its own path, and Canada completely screwed the pooch at the beginning (for instance, even disregarding the "fully vaccinated" part you're alluding to, they were behind us in terms of getting the first shot for a while), though I do think going the 1 shot route wound up being "better" path to vaccination, it was complete & total luck that that panned-out. A risk taken if you will. In any event, it was always going to be easier for Canada to vaccinate as it's a massively more homogenous, and smaller nation than America.

abc

the 1 shot route wound up being "better" path to vaccination, it was complete & total luck that that panned-out.
Yeah, right!

Only very few countries, UK and Canada being the 2, chose to go the 1 shot route. Both "end up" with higher vaccination rate than the US. Totally "random coincidence"! Haha!!!

BenedictGomez

Yeah, right! Only very few countries, UK and Canada being the 2, chose to go the 1 shot route. Both "end up" with higher vaccination rate than the US. Totally "random coincidence"! Haha!!!

That's not what I was getting at. At the time Canada selected the 1-shot route it was a gamble because the full data on efficacy of protection was unknown. They took an educated guess to protect the most people the quickest, and it paid-off.

abc

That's not what I was getting at. At the time Canada selected the 1-shot route it was a gamble because the full data on efficacy of protection was unknown. They took an educated guess to protect the most people the quickest, and it paid-off.
Whether the gamble paid off or not, Canada is a country that HAS A POLICY!

Unlike this country, despite having abundant vaccine supply, the population is left to the misinformation from self-appointed "experts", who attack anyone who disagree with them as "left wing".

The result is crystal clear. That's what speaks for the "doesn't age well" posts. I mean posts, plural! There were many other such.

BenedictGomez

Unlike this country, despite having abundant vaccine supply, the population is left to the misinformation from self-appointed "experts", who attack anyone who disagree with them as "left wing". The result is crystal clear. That's what speaks for the "doesn't age well" posts. I mean posts, plural!

Except it isn't true that the unvaccinated are all right-wingers - this is a politicalized COVID meme you've fallen prey to.

There are precisely two groups most unvaccinated in America & in dire need of changing course:
Group 1: Votes Republican by about 80%
Group 2: Votes Democrat by about 90%

abc

Except it isn't true that the unvaccinated are all right-wingers - this is a politicalized COVID meme you've fallen prey to.

There are precisely two groups most unvaccinated in America & in dire need of changing course:
Group 1: Votes Republican by about 80%
Group 2: Votes Democrat by about 90%
It's not about the party line of those vaccinated. It's about the misinformation of those who attack others who disagree with them as "left wing". Those posts don't age well in the face of result.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I spent a few days taking a corporate officer from China on the road with me last week. We talked about numerous cultural differences and a lot about healthcare. I would trade our system for what is typical of healthcare in Shenzhen in a heartbeat. Felt the same way when I worked for a Japanese company several years back. The services available during an annual checkup are light years better than what we receive in the states.

BenedictGomez

I spent a few days taking a corporate officer from China on the road with me last week. We talked about numerous cultural differences and a lot about healthcare. I would trade our system for what is typical of healthcare in Shenzhen in a heartbeat. Felt the same way when I worked for a Japanese company several years back. The services available during an annual checkup are light years better than what we receive in the states.

There's obviously more to healthcare then routine checkups. Did your friend tell you what kind of drugs the Chinese commoner has access to if she has HER2+ metastatic breast cancer? My guess is if someone you cared about was so unfortunate you'd want to "trade" that Communist Chinese healthcare system back for "our system" in a hurry.

Here's a good primer if you're interested.

abc

On the other hand, a Canadian who's visiting his sick brother in NY told me his brother would not have received the kind of care had he been in living in Canada!

I've lived in China for some years. Still have relatives and friends living in China. On average, my friends/relatives about my age living in the US are in better health overall than those in China. The difference is even more stark when I compare my Mother's health with her younger brothers living in China. I would not trade our care with that of China.

But if I were living in China, I wouldn't trade the Chinese system with that of the Americans either. Each is suited for its own culture and habits. Each has strength and drawbacks.

Last edited:

HowieT2

So I was able to reschedule my trip to 8/10-24 after the announcement yesterday. Hotels and flights not an issue, but I cant get a rental car without which its impossible to do.

BenedictGomez

I cant get a rental car without which its impossible to do.

Try Turo. It's the AirBnb of car rentals, and if it goes public I'll be investing.

For my upcoming western trip the "cheapest" option even through Kayak or Priceline, was a crappy little Ford or Nissan sedan for $953. I'm renting a Mercedes SUV for $800, but could have got a Camry or a similar sedan for $600.

fbrissette

So I was able to reschedule my trip to 8/10-24 after the announcement yesterday. Hotels and flights not an issue, but I cant get a rental car without which its impossible to do.
Try repeatedly (a few times per day). Many foreigners have made reservations and are cancelling on a regular basis. It did work for me (leaving for Calgary tomorrow). With Covid, rental car companies unloaded a lof of vehicule and they now have a hard time increasing their fleet number in part because of the shortage in computer chip.

KustyTheKlown

i booked a rental suv in calgary quite a while ago for my most likely February banff/revelstoke dates when I heard rental cars were hard to come by. suv for 7 days, $359 total. hopefully I keep the dates. the same car and location and dates is now only $377, so not so bad at all really.

agree w BG re:turo. I've had almost universally good experiences. actually illegal in new york state. I've used it in colorado and Seattle. you can rent in nyc area by picking up in jersey city or hoboken

BenedictGomez

Try repeatedly (a few times per day). Many foreigners have made reservations and are cancelling on a regular basis. It did work for me (leaving for Calgary tomorrow). With Covid, rental car companies unloaded a lof of vehicule and they now have a hard time increasing their fleet number in part because of the shortage in computer chip.

Yup, and the Hertz bankruptcy forced fleet selling didnt help either.

VTKilarney

Canada is opening to Americans on August 9th.

You need a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arriving, and you may be selected for a random test on arrival - which presumably you will need to pay for.

As much as I was hoping to casually visit Canada this summer, I think that I will wait until the restrictions have eased somewhat.

fbrissette

Canada is opening to Americans on August 9th.

You need a negative Covid test within 72 hours of arriving, and you may be selected for a random test on arrival - which presumably you will need to pay for.

As much as I was hoping to casually visit Canada this summer, I think that I will wait until the restrictions have eased somewhat.
The random test upon arrival is free. It was free even when it was mandatory, irrespective of citizenship.

HowieT2

checked out Turo which I was aware of previously but I don't think it works for me because I need to pick up the car in calgary but drop it off in vancouver.

abc

I'd be very hesitant to plan complicated itinerary involving many factors outside my control.

With this whole thing still in flux, things could change very rapidly. What's open may get close. Or what's close may become open.

Also, with the tight supply of things, the buffer we normally take for granted may or may not be there. I was involved in a collision recently. I was told I was very lucky to have scored a rental car.

machski

May work, but the US restrictions on non essential cross border travel were just extended until August 21st at least. Good luck.