• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will today be the day oil goes below $100 a barrel?

Beetlenut

I've never heard the term Adirondack diplomacy. What does it mean?

You'd have to ask Tjf67 since he's from that area. Symptoms of it appear to be attacking random people who are either fat, knowledgeable about some subject, or have gotten on his bad side for some reason. Seems to be an evolving term.

Gas right now is mad cheap..I pay like 2 bucks less a tank..pretty soon I'll save up enough from cheaper gas for new windshield wiper blades..I got used to $4 a gallon gas and now $3.50 doesn't seem so bad..

It's so normal...remember when gas hit $2...everybody was like oh wow..gas over $2..after it being a buck plus or minus for the better part of 2 decades..Then Hurricane Katrina and it was over $3..then back in the $2+ range..and all of a sudden..the $4+ gas didn't turn into the $7-8 that speculators expected. The early guys who bought oil futures below $100 and cashed out at $130+...are loving life..the late guys who got into the game late and made the early guys rich are hating threads like this..it's so normal..all that has been going on lately is just part of a cycle..Will oil one day be above $300 a barrel...yes of course..but one day a happy meal will also be $30....

Moe Ghoul

Gas right now is mad cheap..I pay like 2 bucks less a tank..pretty soon I'll save up enough from cheaper gas for new windshield wiper blades..I got used to $4 a gallon gas and now $3.50 doesn't seem so bad..

It's so normal...remember when gas hit $2...everybody was like oh wow..gas over $2..after it being a buck plus or minus for the better part of 2 decades..Then Hurricane Katrina and it was over $3..then back in the $2+ range..and all of a sudden..the $4+ gas didn't turn into the $7-8 that speculators expected. The early guys who bought oil futures below $100 and cashed out at $130+...are loving life..the late guys who got into the game late and made the early guys rich are hating threads like this..it's so normal..all that has been going on lately is just part of a cycle..Will oil one day be above $300 a barrel...yes of course..but one day a happy meal will also be $30....

Steezenomics

Beetlenut

MMmmmm! That kool-aid tastes good don't it?

tjf67

I help keep markets capitalized. What's your problem?

I really dont have a problem. Hard working lower middle class people are getting crushed with oil prices and you laugh at them. I dont see the humor.

ctenidae

I really dont have a problem. Hard working lower middle class people are getting crushed with oil prices and you laugh at them. I dont see the humor.

While the pinch being felt by "hard working middle class people" is, of course, regrettable, they have few people to blame other than themselves. In our quest for a higher standard of living, and with our focus on right now, demand for energy has increased dramatically, andwill continue to do so. As long as we keep wanting it, we will keep paying more for it.

What can the average person do about high oil prices? Use less. That doesn't mean just driving less, which can be hard to limit. Turn off the lights in your house when you're not using them. Reduce the power used by energy hog appliances like TVs, cable boxes, inefficien heating/AC. Stop buying garbage from China. Buy locally produced groceries. Refill that plastic water bottle. Walk. Bring your own bags to the store.

Stop voting for politicians who are focussed on pandering for your vote with promises of good stuff right now. Find a candidate with a longer-term focus. Don't allow government planners to pass up opportunities to conserve energy.

GSS's Steezonomics is not far off the truth. We've had a wealth of opportunities to adjust our energy consumption over the past 60 years, and every time we've stopped doing anything when energy prices fell a little bit or stopped going up so much. We have to commit to using less and better energy, and stick with it.

It's too late to use plattitudes like "Think of the future generations." The problem is now, and it's only going to get worse. Regardless of your political leanings, the simple fact is that our entire energy infrastructure is based on supplies from unstable and increasingly unfriendly sources. This has got to change. Truly, this is the Rule and the Law.

Moe Ghoul

If you blinked you missed it. Single biggest pop today were closing in on 130 a bbl as money is selling the USD and racing back into commodities. Steezy mad yo!! ROFLMAO!

Where am Iaughing at middle class americans? I'm sarcastically and cynically laughing at market action. Some folks drill teeth, heal pets, run businesses, or live on taxpayer assistance. I trade. My choice. And I'm middle class.