• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Park March 25,26,27

Vortex

Nastar Finals Winter Park. It snowed, it snowed, it snowed and its was sunny down bottom.

We arrived on Thurday. 54 in Denver. Snowing like crazy at 9000 feet at the base of Winter park. Parties and registration was the thing of the day.

Elevation was abit of an issue to us right off.

It snowed a good amount about 8 inches up top of the Eagle wind Chair and Panorama Friday. Tree skiing is just amazing there. The sign said top ten in the nation for it, I believe what I read.

My wife and I raced in the am and got in the trees with the Family after lunch We hit it right. skiing above tree line and then coming down into nicely spaced trees was amazing. It snowed off and on up top, mid 30's at the base beautiful sunshine during the day. Good snow high up.

Friday night it showed hard and Sat it was still snowing. Nastar Racers got Early access to the lifts. Sat we had first Tracks every where till about ten thiry. Eagle wind was just un real. Again temps in the 30's in the sun at the base off and on squalls up top. Teen up there and below zero with the wind chill.

Sunday well its snowed again only a few iches in the morning and then it went nuts in the afternoon, Complete white outs. Up top you could not see your gear at your feet. skied until i could not walk and then skied more. Got to the bottom sun was out and 35F.

Monday we were ready to ski, but the pass to Denver was closed so we had to take the long way back to Denver. 4.5 hours. Love when it snows and you have to leave casue its snowing. :)

Ow yea Mrs got 3rd in the nation in her division and I placed ninth. Kind of the reason we went. Well run event. We had a blast. Family likes Colorado

Hey snowseek the picture of me was the Eagle wind chair. I had the local confused. thanks for the advice and help.

Last edited:

snoseek

I freaking love winter park, you hit it great. What's funny is how it's such a big resort but there is a lack of East coasters there. I think they stay away and go to Summit. The place does get busy on weekends with Denver folks and Texans. Eagle Wind has some of my favorite tree skiing anywhere.

A big congrats to Marcia! Glad you guys got it good. Too bad your mutt chowed the diamox lol.

roark

Nice Bob, cool M got some hardware to bring home! Looks like you hit it just right (well, maybe you should've stayed a few days longer ;) )

dmc

I freaking love winter park, you hit it great. What's funny is how it's such a big resort but there is a lack of East coasters there. I think they stay away and go to Summit. The place does get busy on weekends with Denver folks and Texans. Eagle Wind has some of my favorite tree skiing anywhere.

When I was there everyone I met was an obnoxious Texan...

snoseek

When I was there everyone I met was an obnoxious Texan...

They never really bothered me too often. I'm o.k. with vacationers from just about anywhere. The Texans mostly seemed nice, then again alot of my time was at absin or LL. Most of the folks were from the Front Range on weekdays.

snoseek

Every time I've been there everyone has been super cool. Of course most of the people I met were in the smoke shacks stashed all through the woods of MJ.

I keep finding more every time I go there. It's crazy!

Vortex

I Met quite a few people from New England who had made the move West. I road the lift with a guy who spent a Winter at the River. He worked at the Gideon Hasting house..Another guy from Boston. They just moved West. I have a suspicion that my son may be taking the wayward west move at some point. I loved Steamboat and the village, this place has less of a village and more of the goods IMO.

Yea the dog can handle altitude now. :) I don't have much experience of skiing in the West, but I love this place. snowseek I never saw rocco, but ate lunch at the sun spot lodge 3 times. My face book friends take a look at my page my daughter posted some great shots. I prefer not to put out to all. some unreal tree shots.

hammer

Congrats to you and the spouse on your race results. Sounds like it was a fun trip (except for the 4.5 hour drive).