• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wolf Mountain Big changes coming Yes this 2000 miles away from the east coast

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yep. The mountain that was Nordic Valley before it was Wolf Mountain. At one point it was "Skyline Base", but they (wisely) changed the name back to Nordic Valley. This guy is a local contractor who (apparently) has some foreign investors lined up. EB-5 perhaps? They are going to expand to the south and up higher on the ridge.

The first thing that they need to do is REPLACE the decrepit summit double chair. It's pretty tired.

Here's there brandy dandy new website: http://nordicvalley.com/

And a map of their latest plans:

Illustration-of-Nordic-Valley-Ski-Trail-Improvements.jpg

Looks like they took down the topo map.

My expectation is that they will use some second-hand lifts from other places for their "expansion" and do a lot of the work themselves. Cherry Peak is doing the same. They got two triples from Sun Valley.

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

So...because it's private land do they still need an environmental impact study done since it's for commercial use?

jimmywilson69

I'm sure there is some sort of environmental permitting required. Whether it is to the level of what the USFS requires, who knows...

snoseek

The chairlift placement makes me angry just looking at it.

jaytrem

The chairlift placement makes me angry just looking at it.

It is baffling. There's gotta be a reason that #4 doesn't just go to the top, couldn't figure it out from the topo map either.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It does seem odd that they are not planning on going to the ridge. Having skied there, the terrain up high looks good. It is above treeline. It would be a huge boost to this area. This expansion is not going to help them shake the "beginner hill" label and they won't get much more serious consideration from the average Utah skier. And I laughed when they said that they are a "boutique ski area".

jaytrem

It does seem odd that they are not planning on going to the ridge. Having skied there, the terrain up high looks good. It is above treeline. It would be a huge boost to this area. This expansion is not going to help them shake the "beginner hill" label and they won't get much more serious consideration from the average Utah skier. And I laughed when they said that they are a "boutique ski area".

They are planning on going higher up with a gondola. The current expansion is about all they can do with their own property. To go higher they need to use federal lands. I don't think they even started the permit process yet. I read a long article on it a weeks ago. I'll post a link if I can find it again.

Savemeasammy

Calling an alpine ski resort "Nordic Valley" sounds like a Marketing 101 fail to me.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
They are planning on going higher up with a gondola. The current expansion is about all they can do with their own property. To go higher they need to use federal lands. I don't think they even started the permit process yet. I read a long article on it a weeks ago. I'll post a link if I can find it again.

That would be good. Somehow it got past my radar.....

Thanks,

skiNEwhere

Calling an alpine ski resort "Nordic Valley" sounds like a Marketing 101 fail to me.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

I was thinking the same thing. Just seeing the name of the place I'd think it was just cross country skiing