• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

jimmywilson69

The reality is that for someone like me I need the following. Unlimited to a few places in PA including my local hill. Anything beyond that could easily be limited to say 7 days Tier 1 and 10 days Tier 2. Obviously if you live near a "destination resort" you sort of get screwed. So the way around that is to offer your Epic or Ikon in addition to an appropriately priced 1 mountain pass with some sort of add on for tier 1 and tier 2 resort days.

jimmywilson69

This just in.
Cliff notes version...
we're expanding our off shore call centers;
we expect to be able to fully staff our resorts and lifts next year with foreign labor;
we want your continued love and money!

Whatever they need to do. Its not like anyone in CO was all that helpful
I'm sure they will just like every other major ski resort operator
Of course they do, they are a business

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I'd be fine with $1500 as the unlimited price for a place like Stowe and then raising the price significantly on the base pass for five days access or reducing access down to 2-3 days at the same price currently being offered. I'd like to see the price go up for access to Wildcat too, but that's unlikely.

Earlier in my career I didn't ski Stowe for about ten years because I couldn't afford it. It sucked because I lived in Stowe for many years and got a cheap industry or college pass. When making a lower income I bought passes to places like Ragged and then hunted for deals at more Premium mountains.

Now that I've worked my ass off and I am in position to pay for a more premium product, it's been cheapened. I'm sure this is the same way people feel about Alta, Snowbird and Jackson on Ikon.
I guess I am OK with some resorts still catering to rich elitists who want to pay more to avoid skiing with the rest of us if there are enough of you to make that a viable business model.

Hopefully most of my fav places won't go that way.

I certainly don't believe Vail sucks for offering a product that appeals to lots of people at a price point they can afford.

snoseek

I guess I am OK with some resorts still catering to rich elitists who want to pay more to avoid skiing with the rest of us if there are enough of you to make that a viable business model.

I certainly don't believe Vail sucks for offering a product that appeals to lots of people at a price point they can afford.
I'm on board with more expensive pricing and trust me when I tell you I'm far from rich...like wicked far. I value the experience of well run ski areas and realistic capacity.

I'm glad I hedged my epic pass with a cannon pass. I've used the cannon pass much more this winter...its a well run place imo

KustyTheKlown

I'm on board with more expensive pricing and trust me when I tell you I'm far from rich...like wicked far. I value the experience of well run ski areas and realistic capacity.

I'm glad I hedged my epic pass with a cannon pass. I've used the cannon pass much more this winter...its a well run place imo

im at the shit or get off the pot point with cannon indy so I'll be there tomorrow. have not been in quite a long time. always enjoy it when i do go. looking forward to it.

snoseek

im at the shit or get off the pot point with cannon indy so I'll be there tomorrow. have not been in quite a long time. always enjoy it when i do go. looking forward to it.
It's a great hill with nice trails. It's a tie between cannon and wildcat in nh for me. Snow often better at the cat but variety of terrain mix at cannon is great. Hope it warms up enough to soften for you. Start at front 5 it loosens earliest

deadheadskier

Staff member

Woah there

I wouldn't call myself a rich elitist. I just recognize that some experiences should cost more. I stay at a Marriott when I travel. I don't expect the Four Seasons to drop their price to accommodate me. If something is out of my price range (for virtually anything) I don't buy it. I find something I can afford.

Reactions: Edd

kingslug

Guess we will see how it goes next season. This has been my longest season so far and aside from the crowds has been good. I'm trying not to judge things according to this season as it has been unique.
The airlines, at least the one I flew to Utah learned something..how to load and unload a plane the right way. But I fear they will go back to the old way..which never made sense to me...load a tube from front to back..

KustyTheKlown

they released another false apology letter from rob katz via e-mail to passholders. it says they will not have reservations next year, but that they have specific plans to reduce lift lines. good luck with that

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

With passes prices as they are (I paid $1200 for our 3 Epic passes last year) I figure I will have spent about $6000 on a completely optional leisure activity this year. I'd say having the able to do that puts me among the 10% of Americans with the most discretionary income to use on whatever I want after paying my basic bills. Someone who is arguing that passes should go up to the extent that this bill should go up by $3300 (raising pass prices to $1500/person) to a total of $9300 so as to cut out skiers like my kids and I is clearly another level of elite than my mere top 10% ness.
Woah there

I wouldn't call myself a rich elitist. I just recognize that some experiences should cost more. I stay at a Marriott when I travel. I don't expect the Four Seasons to drop their price to accommodate me. If something is out of my price range (for virtually anything) I don't buy it. I find something I can afford.

snoseek

With passes prices as they are (I paid $1200 for our 3 Epic passes last year) I figure I will have spent about $6000 on a completely optional leisure activity this year. I'd say having the able to do that puts me among the 10% of Americans with the most discretionary income. Someone who is arguing that passes should go up to the extent that this bill should go up by $3300 (raising pass prices to $1500/person) to a total of $9300 so as to cut out skiers like my kids and I is clearly another level of elite than my mere top 10% ness.
I mean if you cant afford a top tier place then it is what it is. You likely make more money than me, but I dont have kids and live trashy cheap. We all make our decisions and live up our priorities...there's no wrong answer but there are trade offs.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Um, I said $1500 for full unlimited. That's $900 more for the season in your situation. So, I'm not sure where you are getting your figures.

Jersey Skier

With passes prices as they are (I paid $1200 for our 3 Epic passes last year) I figure I will have spent about $6000 on a completely optional leisure activity this year. I'd say having the able to do that puts me among the 10% of Americans with the most discretionary income to use on whatever I want after paying my basic bills. Someone who is arguing that passes should go up to the extent that this bill should go up by $3300 (raising pass prices to $1500/person) to a total of $9300 so as to cut out skiers like my kids and I is clearly another level of elite than my mere top 10% ness.
Some people, like myself, just don't want to deal with crowds. My Epic Pass went mostly unused because I didn't want to deal with the crowds at Hunter this year. So despite having pre-paid lift tickets I still bought tickets to ski Belleayre to avoid the crowds. I choose to never ski weekends except Plattekill since there are no crowds there.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Um, I said $1500 for full unlimited. That's $900 more for the season in your situation. So, I'm not sure where you are getting your figures.
I paid $1200 total for 1 adult and 2 child unlimited Epic Local passes this year. Unless your price includes a cheaper rate for kids you are increasing my price to $4500.

Without the credits I expect my prices will go up this year regardless. Ikon Standard or ORDA would cost me just over $1400 for the 3 of us next year. Awaiting Epic offer.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I mean if you cant afford a top tier place then it is what it is. You likely make more money than me, but I dont have kids and live trashy cheap. We all make our decisions and live up our priorities...there's no wrong answer but there are trade offs.
Happy doing Epic or Ikon or ORDA with the masses. Don't need to be able to afford an irrationally priced Windham unlimited pass.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I paid $1200 total for 1 adult and 2 child unlimited Epic Local passes this year. Unless your price includes a cheaper rate for kids you are increasing my price to $4500.

Without the credits I expect my prices will go up this year regardless. Ikon Standard or ORDA would cost me just over $1400 for the 3 of us next year. Awaiting Epic offer.

I don't feel that $1200 for a family of three should provide unlimited access to a place like Stowe. Prior to Vail purchasing the mountain, the price was around $1800 for early buy on a single adult pass.

Jersey Skier

I don't feel that $1200 for a family of three should provide unlimited access to a place like Stowe. Prior to Vail purchasing the mountain, the price was around $1800 for early buy on a single adult pass.
But they get to make it up on volume. And people like myself will probably never ski Stowe again. It's too bad.

jimmywilson69

honest question wasn't Stowe pushing this busy pre-Vail on weekends and holidays? I'm sure 20 years ago it wasn't, but 5-6 years ago you would experience long lines on 4-Runner and at the Gondola on regular weekends when I was there.