• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The most dreaded thread of the year.... The Closing thread......

kingslug

It was totally worth it..Some runs from Sunday are gone now but there is still some left to make it worth it. Just more challenging.

Funky_Catskills

It was totally worth it..Some runs from Sunday are gone now but there is still some left to make it worth it. Just more challenging.
I agree - It was awesome spring skiing but it's still hard for me to think it can remain open. Hunter dropped the ball on snowmaking.

kingslug

Read an article about how the lack of a good thaw freeze like we always get in Jan or Feb has hurt us. No ice base to retain the snow. Interesting..damned if we do and don't get one.

kendo

Stowe skied great this afternoon. 3" of fresh windblown powder on top of a still deep enough base.

A few places on lower Liftline looked thin. We'll see what mountain ops does tonight now that everything has frozen after yesterday's weather.

Only mtn triple open on Mansfield due to ripping winds all day.

Hayride looked sporty with huge wall to wall frozen bumps and powder filled troughs.

They're still showing 8-12 forecast for Thurs. May have to extend the trip...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Read an article about how the lack of a good thaw freeze like we always get in Jan or Feb has hurt us. No ice base to retain the snow. Interesting..damned if we do and don't get one.

Ehhhh there's a few layers in there. That sleet storm put down a good layer of shit in early Feb.

What hurt was things thawed and never re-froze. 55 degrees in the day cooling to 40 at night for a week+ straight is terrible. You need cool nights and at least a few solid freezes in the low 20s each week to keep the snowpack going.

Edd

Gunstock is definitely in its last week. Today is gorgeous and the snow was soft right away.

tnt1234

Bell trail count dropping by the day! Hoping to make Saturday our last day of the season....well..maybe sunday morning too if Sat. is fun...we'll see what we get!

MG Skier

Berkshire East closed today (and apparently tomorrow) due to power outage, hoping to reopen for Easter weekend. Hopefully they will be able, what a crappy way to end the season.
They had a power issue back in February too....liftie said a grounding issue???

drjeff

They had a power issue back in February too....liftie said a grounding issue???
This time it was all power poles. There was a pic I saw on I forget which social media platform, with a few line trucks in the parking lot area, and multiple poles down. The really gusty winds ahead and around the storm last Friday was apparently the cause of the downed poles

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Thunder Ridge shooting for re-opening Friday-Sunday this week but my personal opinion is I don't think it's happening. Blew a crapton of snow but Ma Nature always has the final say! The base goes f-a-s-t once we hit March as the hill faces directly West. But late March is still incredibly impressive given St. Patty's used to be the target. I only heard of them making April once from someone who's been there 45+ years.