• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2006-07 "Resident" Boot Fitter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Staff member
Jeff Bokum, a Master Bootfitter and board-certified Pedorthist, has again agreed to participate here and answer any questions in regards to boots and boot fitting this season. He will be posting under the username of Skiiboot. In addition to his Pedorthist credentials, Jeff is a Masterfit Instructor and the owner of Profile Orthotic Center at S&W Sports in Concord, New Hampshire. He is also a professional firefighter with the Portsmouth New Hampshire Fire Department with a Level III state certification in firefighting, EMT intermediate certification and Level II Rescue Systems. He has been a ski boot tester with Ski Press magazine since 2002. Please join me in thanking Jeff for continuing to be a valuable source of boot fitting information for the AZ community! Feel free to ask boot fitting related questions in this thread.

Sky

Jeff, how long does it take for you to customize a fit? What's the ball-park cost? Hate to be ham-handed about this, but the bottom line is time and cash. Look forward to your feed back this season...and thanks for the public service!

Sky

VB

Website
www.thetechcentrics.com
Hello, I have a question about what is the best boot to have for wearing all day long, Im a ski instructor, going in and out of the lodge alot, and not really having much time to take them off and on. Thanks,
VB

awf170

Hello, I have a question about what is the best boot to have for wearing all day long, Im a ski instructor, going in and out of the lodge alot, and not really having much time to take them off and on. Thanks,
VB

A boot that fits your foot.:idea: Probably not a race boot...

Skiiboot

ski521, Time depends on what you need and what you want to do in and with your skiing. The average skiier with a boot that fits properly. I need APX 1 1/2 to 2 hours. This time I am able to change the way your balance on snow and the way you turn an it. Comfort is always important.

footbed 145.00
balance Apx 10 to 30.00
canting 60.00
plates 45.00
grinding and streching 1$ a min

Tha average cost is around 200.00 for footbeds and balance this will include a little grinding and material.

Thanks

Jeff

Skiiboot

VB, To say what boot is best for you without seeing you is not possible. There are a lot a very good boots on the market, and depending on your foot shape they could several different boots. I will need more infomation.

Thanks

Jeff

awf170

Will you work with an alpine touring boot? Also, is there anything that can be done if I think my instep maybe a little too high for the boot?(It doesn't feel that way, but my foot goes numb, so that must be the reason:-?)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Will you work with an alpine touring boot? Also, is there anything that can be done if I think my instep maybe a little too high for the boot?(It doesn't feel that way, but my foot goes numb, so that must be the reason:-?)

Maybe it's your little dwarf feet.

Natedogg

Hi Jeff

I think I posted something here or emailed you at the end of last season, but think I missed you. Got a dumb question for ya...

I bought a pair of Tecnica Diablo Race 130s on sale at the end of last year. My shoe size is about a 13 (12s in some shoes and back in high school I was in 14 basketball sneaks), and my last pair of Tecnicas were 29.5, I think (which also gave me some bad cramping in my outer toes). The shop only had a 28.5, and after hemming and hawwing, I gave in and bought them. I used them twice last season and my feet killed me after having them on for maybe 10 minutes. Rough measurements of my feet are: right: 28.8 cm; left: 29.6 cm.

Question is... did I make a bad decision and should sell these boots and pony up to buy the next size, or are these workable? I love having the shorter sole length--it allows me to use a pre-drilled race plate on my slalom skis. 8)

Skiiboot

awf170, alpine boots can be tricky, and yes I do a lot off work with them. The top of the foot could be the problem or behind the ankle. It could also be a combanation of the too.

Jeff

Skiiboot

Natedogg, I think you will be OK. You can make boots bigger. I know it's a little scary but It takes a little work, a couple of additions (good footbed) and some time. If the boot is what you have explained, you will have the best skiing boots you have ever had.

Thanks

ctenidae

Jeff-

Thanks again for doing this with us.
Here's a weird one. My wife experienced insane foot pain last winter while skiing (tears, stopping halfway down kind of pain). We got her semi-custom footbeds and had the boots worked on a bit, just to see if it helped at all. No dice. Her workout class does the balance balls a lot, and that hurts her feet too. I finally got her to go see her doctor, who sent her to a sports therapist. He said the ligaments in her foot are totally stretched out, one is completely disconnected, and it looks like she's sprained her ankles a thousand times.

She's a former figure skater, and the super tight/stiff boots probably contributed to the stretch and the lack of pain while skating. The treatement is PT, if that doesn't work some nasty sounding injections, and surgery if all else fails.

You ever seen anything like this, and are there any boot fixes that could at least make it bearable to ski in case the season starts before she gets to a cure?

awf170

I'm actually now thinking my boots maybe too small for me. I think I'm the only person who sizes ski boots too small. I guess I'm too used to climbing shoes. Unweighted I can fit 1.5 fingers behind my right foot and 1 behind my left foot. I'll probably be seeing you in the next month or so.

Skiiboot

ctenidae, I have several people that I work with that have similar problems. The process can be time consuming but will worth the time. The foot must be supported properly then you may be able to move on. She has a lot of damage to her feet. everything must be perfect, so not to do more damage. There are several boots that may work for her. If you have any more questions please call me.

Skiiboot

awf170, The boots are close don't go bigger. The scale is racers 0-1/4 behind heel. expert 1/4 - 1/2in intermediate 3/8- 5/8 and beginners 1/2 - 1". This a rough scale.

SKIQUATTRO

cold feet

after suffering for years with cold feet (yes even in warmer temps) I went to my Doctor and he said its most likely Raynoyds Syndrome. I combated that last year to a trip to Northern Skiworks at Killington and got custom fitted in a great pair of Rossi boots....still get cold feet (skiing, road biking, walking around) when everone else is fine.....i am thinking about getting Hotronics to make my day on the slopes more enjoyable....any suggestions//deals????

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.