• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

ThatGuy

Man that wind and rain was something else overnight, kept waking me up. Going to have to bust out the ice skates if you wanna go skiing anytime soon in VT.

John9

PA and NY ski area web cams look fine. Guess we got lucky.

Kingslug20

Considering tomorrow at Stowe...going to be a bit brisk...definitely Sunday though...zoomer groomers...

slatham

At 2,300' in SoVT we had at least 5" on front side. The rain and warmth did not take that out, though is was pretty wet. However it offered good protection to the base, and the snow pack on the ground, in the middle, was actually "normal" snow. With such a minor warm up - 41 tops here - and for such a short time, with the 5" of insulation, I think conditions will be much better than feared.

On top of that we have at least 2 1/2" new and still snowing. And just saw we are under winter weather advisory for 2-5".

Guess we'll see tomorrow.

2Planker

5.5” this afternoon in Conway.
Cat didn’t spin at all today.
100+mph across the street this afternoon.
Sharpen ‘em up for first trax…

Last edited:

Kingslug20

Stowe is saying they are going to try and open tomorrow..I think icing will be a big issue...going to wait till Sunday..should be sorted out by then.

Keelhauled

Changed back to snow in central VT just a little bit ago. Winds really picked back up too, I was feeling pretty pleased about not having lost power but we'll see yet...

Mainer

5.5” in Conway or 55 and 50 mph winds. Because it has been 50 all afternoon and pouring with strong winds in Fryeburg. Almost down to bare ground, powers out again. And the winds have broken up the ice on the lake, so Ice skating is out. But the generator is running and the eggnog is strong.

Smellytele

Got a break in the weather this afternoon and skinned up pats. They had run a cat over everything ( I assume before it rained) not groomed just cat tracks on everything. Interesting must help with draining. Didn’t help with skiing.😀

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
At 2,300' in SoVT we had at least 5" on front side. The rain and warmth did not take that out, though is was pretty wet. However it offered good protection to the base, and the snow pack on the ground, in the middle, was actually "normal" snow. With such a minor warm up - 41 tops here - and for such a short time, with the 5" of insulation, I think conditions will be much better than feared.

On top of that we have at least 2 1/2" new and still snowing. And just saw we are under winter weather advisory for 2-5".

Guess we'll see tomorrow.

No you're crazy. Holiday period ruined. Starting from scratch again. Piss warm rain with flooding. Taking out all the natural. It's the ski-pocolypse.

/s and directed at y'all who said it would be a washout. Base area cam has shown snow at MRG since 3pm so the back-end is also performing decently.