• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

NYDB

looks like thunderstorms on the way for most of ski country on Xmas.

Fuck you 2020!

Yes I know things could change and we'll probably get some snow on the backside.

Really disappointing and this might be the only window for the kids to ski this season with VTs travel restrictions unless they switch to full remote after new years (which I do not want).

So again, fuck you 2020!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
We're in a VERY active pattern. Another storm that looks mostly snow is coming Monday after Christmas. It will come.

Before the hot rain VT could get another inch or two today, and the same Tuesday. It all adds up. There'll still be a base after the rain.

kingslug

It seems to ALWAYS rain after a good snow event.
And even better..52 on Friday 19 on Friday night. Just...awesome...

Last edited:

NYDB

We're in a VERY active pattern. Another storm that looks mostly snow is coming Monday after Christmas. It will come.

Before the hot rain VT could get another inch or two today, and the same Tuesday. It all adds up. There'll still be a base after the rain.
Always appreciate your optimism.

KustyTheKlown

The freeze will hopefully lock it in for the long haul, down south. Up north is gonna get fucked back to near zero off snowmaking. Tragic but typical. East coast baby.

KustyTheKlown

Riding red now. Skied talisman first - poor choice for a warm up! Very bumpy and chunky. Second run connected all the little tree hits down the east side. Still pow in the woods for sure. Heading to the hallows now

nhskier1969

Every year I promise myself that I wouldn't ski on the Holiday week. Then when It comes up I always do. I don't know why, it always sucks over the holiday week. I can't remember a year that it didn't rain over the holiday week.

abc

It only feels that way.

I've skied many Christmas days. It's typically quite festive. I like it. And even the el cheapo base pass usually allows skiing ON Christmas day, which I remember doing for more than half of the years.

But if you're talking about the Christmas-New Year PERIOD. Then yes, almost all the years will have "hot rain" during some part of it. It's just too warm for much of the northeast that time of year so some of the precipitation ended up as liquid.

And sadly, the freeze after the rain is much more problematic. That's unfortunately "typical".

KustyTheKlown

As a heathen of an athiest jew I’ve skied xmas day just about every year I can think of til this year. as a child always mount snow, and that Chinese restaurant by the movie theatre, full of Jews

my better half is not of tribe, so we’re doing a proper Christmas dinner and Christmas morning, which is a first time thing for me and something I always felt a bit left out of as a kid

drjeff

As a heathen of an athiest jew I’ve skied xmas day just about every year I can think of til this year. as a child always mount snow, and that Chinese restaurant by the movie theatre, full of Jews

my better half is not of tribe, so we’re doing a proper Christmas dinner and Christmas morning, which is a first time thing for me and something I always felt a bit left out of as a kid

Unfortunately that Chinese restaurant closed 2, maybe 3yrs ago, and is now a local senior center.

Had many a Friday or Saturday night with plenty of take out from that place over the years, and still miss it!

Cornhead

December 25th - International Yids on Skids Day. Ski like a Meshugenah!
I've skied on Christmas day, I think in the afternoon after morning gift exchanging. I noticed an Asian slant to the demographic that day. They used to do bring a can of food ski for free on Christmas Eve. Very entertaining chairlift rides, yard sales galore.

kingslug

Cloudy with periods of rain. Potential for flooding rains. Low 37F. Winds S at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected
Merry Xmas :(

NYDB

I've skied on Christmas day, I think in the afternoon after morning gift exchanging. I noticed an Asian slant to the demographic that day. They used to do bring a can of food ski for free on Christmas Eve. Very entertaining chairlift rides, yard sales galore.
Iswydt

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was about to say...the Grinch that steals Christmas. In my lifetime, it seems that yes, there is a pattern in which there is a meltdown at Christmas or right around that time in Vermont. Not to mention the January thaw. That said, it will come back.