• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

raisingarizona

Your right, the bottom parts of the resort will have to rely on alot of man-made snow. The section circled in red has the best potential for good skiing....
View attachment 60039
It's a lift served real estate project. The snow isn't important. The lift system will still get homeowners up and out to the upper elevations to ski.

No snow to shovel or remove from your roof/property could be a selling point!

There's plenty of ski areas in Europe that have low elevation lifts that are primarily people movers for 30-70% of the winter until snow levels drop. Theres plenty of different ways to see and do things than the way we are used to doing things in the US and A. It does look like an excessive amount of low elevation cut ski runs imo but I'm wrong about a lot of things.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It's a lift served real estate project. The snow isn't important. The lift system will still get homeowners up and out to the upper elevations to ski.

No snow to shovel or remove from your roof/property could be a selling point!

There's plenty of ski areas in Europe that have low elevation lifts that are primarily people movers for 30-70% of the winter until snow levels drop. Theres plenty of different ways to see and do things than the way we are used to doing things in the US and A. It does look like an excessive amount of low elevation cut ski runs imo but I'm wrong about a lot of things.

I'm with you on all points, and equally confused about how much they're planning to cut down low. The additional access/parking/real estate is all great and I'm for it. I just can't wrap my head around how they plan to cover an area the size of a Vermont mega resort that has a climate similar to northern Massachusetts. 1 out of every 10 years even with top notch snowmaking they're going to not have that portal skiable by Christmas. It's just...weird. Parking access was priority #1 and selling homesites is a bonus but I struggle to think they'll have significant ROI given how much snowmaking they area will require.

raisingarizona

I'm with you on all points, and equally confused about how much they're planning to cut down low. The additional access/parking/real estate is all great and I'm for it. I just can't wrap my head around how they plan to cover an area the size of a Vermont mega resort that has a climate similar to northern Massachusetts. 1 out of every 10 years even with top notch snowmaking they're going to not have that portal skiable by Christmas. It's just...weird. Parking access was priority #1 and selling homesites is a bonus but I struggle to think they'll have significant ROI given how much snowmaking they area will require.
Yeah. I’d think you’d keep it simple Euro style with one or two pistes down to the main hubs. Trying to keep those runs open is going to have a major impact on operational costs and having most of those runs bare most of the winter during most years ain’t a good look either.

BenedictGomez

You can go on Google maps and see what's already been cut. Some big WIDE runs.

Yeah, I question the logic of how wide some of these runs are going to be. They've already cut a pretty impressive number of trails I'd say, I'd have to imagine they're ahead of schedule in that department.

Do they use the Jordanelle for snowmaking water?

Yup.

Pretty sure the Jordanelle's where my drinking water comes from too; they use Jordanelle for all sorts of things.
Summer 2021 I learned DC-10s use it when Summt Park's about to burn down.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Yeah, I question the logic of how wide some of these runs are going to be. They've already cut a pretty impressive number of trails I'd say, I'd have to imagine they're ahead of schedule in that department.

Yup.

Pretty sure the Jordanelle's where my drinking water comes from too; they use Jordanelle for all sorts of things.
Summer 2021 I learned DC-10s use it when Summt Park's about to burn down.

I've heard DV is essentially unlimited in how much they can draw, too. Gonna need some big pumps! It will work most years but they can't half ass this snowmaking system. Full auto, fan guns, big pumping capacity all going to be a must.

Snowbird surprisingly terrible today. Must've gotten rain down low but a lot of places are awful chunk ice

ThatGuy

Snowbird surprisingly terrible today. Must've gotten rain down low but a lot of places are awful chunk ice
That sucks, my roommates all went to Brighton tonight its probably a sheet of ice. i opted out since I have a 5 day private so been skiing hard. Conditions here in PC were spring like with really soft snow

thetrailboss

Staff member

This kind of growth seems crazy and unsustainable. Approaching PCR size.
And yet Alterra can’t keep the lifts operating properly at Sugarbush….

NYDB

BenedictGomez

Alterra seems to be way more interested thus far at spending the big infrastructure $$ at their Western properties compared to their Eastern properties

Almost all these Alterra & Vail brass are western people. Sometimes it's obvious they have no clue about eastern skiing, in an almost - "look how cute it is" fashion.

BenedictGomez

This thing is absolutely ginormous as pictured, both in the skiing layout and the "city" they're building west of the Jordanelle.

I have a real hard time believing this all gets built as depicted. Already I see it appears the gondy rumored to be going from Mayflower to Snowpark's apparently been scrapped given it's not on the below diagram. So much for the, "everyone who lives on the Wasatch Back can take the gondola to work instead of driving to Park City" talking point, I called that out some pages back as ridiculous BS.

And where the hell is all the money for this going to come from? Sixteen lifts? I imagine the gondy alone's going to cost ~$15'ish million. Is Alterra not going to spend anywhere else over the next 3 years, lol.

1706055152720.png