• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Corbet's Couloir

dmc

Corbets had far better snow, scenery and pitch than the scraped off rendezvous - if its no biggie to ski CC, why not jump in and at least enjoy the snow and pitch instead of doing lap after lap on the icy rendezvous bowl?

The only good thing about Redezvous is the access gates :)

JohnGD33

lol, sad but true. I've learned that you need to have a bullshit factor built in.

I dropped a 30 foot cliff last weekend!!!!!

30 x (bs factor of .421) = 12.6 foot cliff.

The bs factor needs to be calculated based on the board however. this place would have a relatively low factor but other boards seem to be through the roof.

That's great!! I love it. I guess the bs factor works for hunting stories as well as mtb stories.

koreshot

dmc

That being said...
Here's a video i took of my buddy Jeff dropping a cliff in JH... He stands about 5'5"..
Based on his height I estimate this cliff drop to be 30'...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UbFtWJFjDGc

Whats the consensus...?

PS: Greg - can you YouTubeize this? i forget how to embed...

dmc

More of a demonstration of balls there than anything else. Anyone really can huck a cliff like that only to stop dead in deep snow. Not saying I would ever even consider it.

Ya think so?

I think he did great staying up right and extened to abosrb the landing... i give him props for landing on his feet... And not rotating like most do...

btw: this dude is an awesome skier.. He's a freestyle coach...

Greg

Staff member
Ya think so?

I think he did great staying up right and extened to abosrb the landing... i give him props for landing on his feet... And not rotating like most do...

btw: this dude is an awesome skier.. He's a freestyle coach...

Certainly not saying this guy is not a great skier. I guess my point is I didn't see any skiing in that clip...

More of a demonstration of balls there than anything else. Anyone really can huck a cliff like that only to stop dead in deep snow. Not saying I would ever even consider it.

Not really...after about 40-50' if you're not holding good form and well balanced you'll end up landing on your head...not to mention the side slip in...f that up and the rest of the trip gets really ugly. It takes much more than just elephant sized nuts. Unless you're just fking stupid and go from a 10' cliff right for a hundred.

dmc

Certainly not saying this guy is not a great skier. I guess my point is I didn't see any skiing in that clip...

right...
His skis we're not touching the ground but there are things he did that kept him from landing on his head or hitting rocks...
much like there's things you need to think about in the air when dropping CC or hitting a kicker on a bump run...

Greg

Staff member
Not really...after about 40-50' if you're not holding good form and well balanced you'll end up landing on your head...not to mention the side slip in...f that up and the rest of the trip gets really ugly. It takes much more than just elephant sized nuts. Unless you're just fking stupid and go from a 10' cliff right for a hundred.

right...
His skis we're not touching the ground but there are things he did that kept him from landing on his head or hitting rocks...
much like there's things you need to think about in the air when dropping CC or hitting a kicker on a bump run...

You guys can see all that from the crappy resolution of a Google vid? :blink:

Anyway, I'll shut up now cuz I really don't know what I'm talking about anyway. I guess my point is it would have been more dramatic if he gracefully skied away after the landing...

koreshot

You guys can see all that from the crappy resolution of a Google vid? :blink:

Anyway, I'll shut up now cuz I really don't know what I'm talking about anyway. I guess my point is it would have been more dramatic if he gracefully skied away after the landing...

I posted that link in response to the "other forums have a high BS factor" with regards to dropping cliffs comment. Not that that comment is wrong, there are hundreds of people even on TGR that are completely clueless and think they are great skiers, but then there are people like this, who say they dropped a 100+ foot cliff and actually have footage to back it up. The BS factor for these guys is 1 or higher :)

You are right Greg, the skill involved in dropping that cliff isn't totally obvious. But as others have said, just picking the right launch point and staying upright and taking the hit is already great skill - skill I would only dream of having. That aside, all the guys in that TGR thread that dropped that cliff happen to be amazing skiers. There are many other TRs on that board with those guys ripping some really challenging terrain out in the BC. They are actually "core".

Greg

Staff member
That aside, all the guys in that TGR thread that dropped that cliff happen to be amazing skiers.

I guess this is inherently the case 99% of the time. However, is it not possible for some poser, looking to just have his buddy film him or snap a pic so he can publish it online, pull that off, provided he's got the balls?

JimG.

Staff member
I guess this is inherently the case 99% of the time. However, is it not possible for some poser, looking to just have his buddy film him or snap a pic so he can publish it online, pull that off, provided he's got the balls?

Unlikely...you don't see the skills that dmc and koreshot are talking about.

I know Jeff and worked for him as a seasonal coach for a few years. He is a great skier, and his best skill is bumps.

A poser looking to drop a 30 footer is basically an accident waiting to happen. And dmc is right about CC, that's why I made the comment about entertainment value. Sometimes it's not entertaining, just scary when you see what might be a dead or injured body cartwheeling down the throat.

Launch point, entry position, line choice and the first turn or two are critical. I'd be thrilled to launch a 30 footer and land like Jeff did...upright, absorbed the drop, hands up and out, body centered and in an athletic stance. That was a nice job.

Greg

Staff member
Unlikely...you don't see the skills that dmc and koreshot are talking about.

I know Jeff and worked for him as a seasonal coach for a few years. He is a great skier, and his best skill is bumps.

A poser looking to drop a 30 footer is basically an accident waiting to happen. And dmc is right about CC, that's why I made the comment about entertainment value. Sometimes it's not entertaining, just scary when you see what might be a dead or injured body cartwheeling down the throat.

Launch point, entry position, line choice and the first turn or two are critical. I'd be thrilled to launch a 30 footer and land like Jeff did...upright, absorbed the drop, hands up and out, body centered and in an athletic stance. That was a nice job.

Like I said. I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Just trying to stir the pot... ;)