• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jeep Compass...

koreshot

Is the ugliest vehicle in years, possibly since the Pontiac Aztec.

That is all.

Greg

Staff member
Yeah. Not a fan...

The 4-Door Wrangler though?

img43dd8840ae76b.jpg

J4611SSVlg.jpg

May very well be our next ride. My brother-in-law has one and it's sweet and a lot bigger inside than you might expect.

Greg

Staff member
Whenever I see one from the side the first thing I think is that they were trying to rip off the Hummer look for some reason. Maybe it's just me though..

It does look Hummerish, but really, it's just an extended Wrangler so I don't think it was intentional.

bvibert

Staff member
I think it's the squared off roof line in the back that makes it look hummerish...

koreshot

The thing is, the Wrangler just seems really outdated to me. Sure its a cool car with history and preserves the look that sold and is classic, but there are cars out there that will probably (for a regular driver) match the Wrangler's offroad capabilities while keeping more comfort, convenience, safety and reliability.

I supposed they would make a serious offroad machine for some people, but if you need a car to get to work every day and then kick butt when it snows or duing an occasional offroad adventure on the way to a camp site, there are others that will get the job done better.

Grassi21

Whenever I see one from the side the first thing I think is that they were trying to rip off the Hummer look for some reason. Maybe it's just me though..

I'd have to look up the article but I believe Jeep took legal action against Hummer for ripping off the Jeep grill design.

Greg

Staff member
Dunno. Take out that rear door and it looks like any old Wrangler to me...

koreshot

Looks like we have a Wrangler fanboy on our hands!

You drive one right?

Greg

Staff member
Looks like we have a Wrangler fanboy on our hands!

You drive one right?

Who? Me? I test drove a Wrangler once back in the 90's. I have a Cherokee Sport.

koreshot

Who? Me? I test drove a Wrangler once back in the 90's. I have a Cherokee Sport.

Nevermind. Cherokee != Wrangler. It seems like a more practical choice.

Safetywise the crash ratings on the Wrangler are better than I expected:
image.ashx

Definitely than the previous gen Ford F-150:
image.ashx

SKIQUATTRO

I had a Wrangler for a year or so, was great, my now 5 yr old is yelling at me to get another....she loved zippin around town with the top down and buffett cranking...so, might just sell the Audi and grab a Wrangler....

Grassi21

I own an 04 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Just got back from test driving the Commander for my wife. Not a bad ride. I think its a little pricey for what it is.