• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

In need of Helmet advice

deadheadskier

Staff member
Prior to the end of the season, I want to take the plunge and join the ranks of helmet wearers. I know that it really is stupid to not wear one. This said, I know nothing about them. Obviously I'd never purchase a helmet without trying one on first.

I'm just curious about people's opinions on helmets.

What brand(s) are the most reputable?

A big concern of mine is that the helmet affects my hearing as little as possible. I had a pretty severe accident while young, ever since this incident, being able to hear skiers around me is very important. Are some better designed for this than others?

What is a 'good' price for a helmet from said brand?

Do you know of any online sites that offer great prices to order from once I find one that fits properly?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I've had a couple of Giro Fuse already, good fit and very comfortable. The one thing I like about it besides the fit and one thing to take into consideration is the vents. In this case, it's very easy to open or close them, there's a little lever on top that you just slide back and forth. With some, it's not as easy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Question why you've had a couple already. Was the first not all that comfortable or lack features you desired? Did you crack it getting in a wreck? Or perhaps you had to dispose of it due to intolerable head stink, :lol:.

What was the price you paid?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Question why you've had a couple already. Was the first not all that comfortable or lack features you desired? Did you crack it getting in a wreck? Or perhaps you had to dispose of it due to intolerable head stink, :lol:.

What was the price you paid?

Crash, good thing I had a helmet on. Got knocked out, but at least I didn't crack my skull:

normal_P4040004.JPG

normal_P4040005.JPG

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm sure you were happy that the helmet protected your skull. Did you think your crash was severe enough to warrant the helmet becoming trash in need of replacement?

twinplanx

Crash, good thing I had a helmet on. Got knocked out, but at least I didn't crack my skull:

Ya me too. When ya get knocked out while wearing a helmet that must be some indication that it's time is up. Sorry no pics:cry:

SKIQUATTRO

I have the Giro9, great lid, light weight, 3 setting vent system, soft ears so it wont affect your hearing....about $130 ish

skibum9995

I currently use a POC Skull that I got for christmas and love it. By far the most comfortable out of the 4 helmets that I have had.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I'm sure you were happy that the helmet protected your skull. Did you think your crash was severe enough to warrant the helmet becoming trash in need of replacement?

At first I didn't. A week later Iooked at the helmet and noticed the cracks. I think the helmet cost me like $120 on sale. I was a no brainer.

Hawkshot99

I own my third Giro G10.
736-g10mx-08_matteblack_pd.jpg

I am on my 3rd because i fall hard a lot! It is a little insurance that it will still be good when I need it. Also I can sell the year old one and get a new one, for around $10-$15:razz:

The G10 has very good venting, and is controllable by a switch like Andy's Fuse, but they are different head shapes. My current one is the MX model, and has a visor on it. The main reason I like it is that when bashing through the woods I just lower my head when there are branches, and it protects my face. I can hear very good with the soft ear pads.

I also own a Giro Talon for racing.
GiroTalonTiSM.jpg

It provides more protection and is race legal(I was going to be racing in college).
It is not nearly as comfortable as my G10, and I can not hear as well. I would only recommend a full helmet if you are racing.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Lots of great helmets out there. I would go to a good shop and simply check them out for yourself. I have a Giro G10 and it works well but a G9 is pretty similar except the your paying an extra $30 to be able to regulate the vents which I really don't use. I keep them open all the time. The G9 sells in our shop for $100 and the G10 without the brim for $130 .

The Smith Variant is very popular and retails for $150, everyone says that they are really comfortable. We actually have a waiting list for them. If you like the "Air Evac" look the Smith Holt is popular mainly cause Shawn White wears one and they retail for just $70 but have a very basic vent system.

Mildcat

I have a Giro G10 and like it a lot. Keep checking SAC, I've seen them a couple of times on there for Dirt cheap money. I believe it was around $60. That was with tune-ups but judging by your OP I don't think you would use those anyway.

Greg

Staff member
I have the Giro9, great lid, light weight, 3 setting vent system, soft ears so it wont affect your hearing....about $130 ish

I own my third Giro G10.
736-g10mx-08_matteblack_pd.jpg

I am on my 3rd because i fall hard a lot! It is a little insurance that it will still be good when I need it. Also I can sell the year old one and get a new one, for around $10-$15:razz:

The G10 has very good venting, and is controllable by a switch like Andy's Fuse, but they are different head shapes. My current one is the MX model, and has a visor on it. The main reason I like it is that when bashing through the woods I just lower my head when there are branches, and it protects my face. I can hear very good with the soft ear pads.

I had a Giro 9 and upgraded it to a G10. The vent inserts on the 9 are a PITA. I lost one of them, although Giro did send a replacement set for free. The G10 runs a tad smaller than the 9 which is good because the Large 9 felt a little loose on me. The Large G10 fits perfect. I love it! You can find them on www.backcountry.com for less than $100 from time to time.

newskier

I have a Giro G10 and love it. However, helmets are one of those things you really need to go to the store and try on; some are made for oval shaped heads and some for rounder heads, so not every brand/model will fit or be comfortable for you. I tried on tons of helmets before I finally settled on the G10-- it's the one that fits me the best.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have a Giro G10 and love it. However, helmets are one of those things you really need to go to the store and try on; some are made for oval shaped heads and some for rounder heads, so not every brand/model will fit or be comfortable for you. I tried on tons of helmets before I finally settled on the G10-- it's the one that fits me the best.

that's basically my plan, I was just looking for some feedback. I'll definitely check them out in stores and find the brand/model/size that works best for my dome. Then I'll look for an end of the season deal online somewhere.

danny p

another vote for the g10. I went for over 10 seasons without a helmet, and this year has been my first year wearing one. I will never go back, they are much warmer than a knit hat and the ability to open the vents seals the deal. i originally bought it for safety, but honestly i recommend them to my friends because of comfort.

edit: i don't know if anyone mentioned it, but it might be worth it to bring your jacket to the shop and make sure your hood is compatible with the helmet, if thats something that is important to you.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
that's basically my plan, I was just looking for some feedback. I'll definitely check them out in stores and find the brand/model/size that works best for my dome. Then I'll look for an end of the season deal online somewhere.

Might be worth it to check the Play It Again Sports store on Marginal Way.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Okay,

Lots of fans of Giro. I've read that they have some compatiability problems with certain brands of goggles? True? True of most helmet brands?