• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Extreme Snowboard Carving Serious Safety and Skiing Community issue

mbedle

As a 30+ year alpine snowboarder on different types of carving boards over those years, I feel the need to comment on this thread. From my own experience, I never initiate a blind carve on a trail (either front side or backside). One of the advantages of having a true alpine setup is my feet are nearly pointed straight forward, which allows me to easily assess riders in my vicinity. While I understand the rider code exists and states that downhill riders have the right of way, I find it very selfish to just occupy half or all of a trail by carving back and forth and expect everyone behind you to yield or try and play the timing game to pass. Call it self preservation, but I don't want to get t-boned by a rider just because I have the right to carve 180 degree turns on a trail. One thing I would like to point out, is true carvers are typically very understanding of what we do and most plan their runs by timing skier density on the trail before they start downhill. Also carving boards do not skid (typically) like regular snowboards. While we may travel faster than normal, the amount of control is far superior to a regular snowboard. Anyway, just wanted to offer my two cents. PS - conditions suck now.... lol

cdskier

Personal skier responsibility code:

Don't trust anyone else on the trail. Even my own kids. 😆. Below me, behind me, beside me, don't matter.... don't trust anyone

Serves me well.

Ultimately this is what it boils down to...do you trust other people to never do something stupid? Not a chance. If others want to take that risk, that's on them. Even people I've skied with over the years where I know their style, etc I still wouldn't trust completely. You just never know.

BodeMiller1

As far as cars go, I've hit other cars on purpose. Took out a BMW on a parkway going into Boston in the 90's. I had the right of way. Do I damage my Mustang or total his? He was doing 40 hit a jersey barrier then a tree.

JimG.

Staff member
Personal skier responsibility code:

Don't trust anyone else on the trail. Even my own kids. 😆. Below me, behind me, beside me, don't matter.... don't trust anyone

Serves me well.
Yup.

My head is on a swivel when I ski, especially on weekends and holidays.

LuckyStrike

As far as cars go, I've hit other cars on purpose. Took out a BMW on a parkway going into Boston in the 90's. I had the right of way. Do I damage my Mustang or total his? He was doing 40 hit a jersey barrier then a tree.

Attachments

• IMG_3116.gif
    IMG_3116.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

bumpybrandy

LOL, you wrong and you mad
I think short of an amendment to the code the most pragmatic solution to prevent such incidents (which based on how i'm seeing boarders ride in the NE this season in particular will become more common) is an FIS or a mountain by mountain based awareness campaign educating extreme carving boarders that this newly popular style with its rapid deceleration and drastic redirection requires them to check their surroundings first including uphill, and to adjust their intentions accordingly, as well as to try to limit this style of riding to the less populated areas of resorts. Defining the new style would be a helpful start so the audience knows that this is not targeted at just the average fall line hard carving boarder.
"I nominate the phrase: "d*ck move."
Any seconds?

deadheadskier

Staff member
My lord, get a grip guy. After 40 years of skiing, typically 40 days a season, this is a non issue IMO and Euro Carves (the correct term for it) have been around since the early 90s. IN FACT, that style of snowboarding is the major reason why shaped skis exist today. Back in the 90s, ski manufacturers saw how much better snowboarders were at carving big arcs and started applying those design principles to skis. Boom, the birth of shaped skis.

Good luck with your snowboarding re-education
Camps. If I rode and some mountain courtesy officer came up to me trying to educate me on how to ride, I'd laugh at them.

bumpybrandy

My lord, get a grip guy. After 40 years of skiing, typically 40 days a season, this is a non issue IMO and Euro Carves (the correct term for it) have been around since the early 90s. IN FACT, that style of snowboarding is the major reason why shaped skis exist today. Back in the 90s, ski manufacturers saw how much better snowboarders were at carving big arcs and started applying those design principles to skis. Boom, the birth of shaped skis.

Good luck with your snowboarding re-education
Camps. If I rode and some mountain courtesy officer came up to me trying to educate me on how to ride, I'd laugh at them.
Man, it get's so boring reading dismissive responses. Mockery is one thing for the fun of it, but to act like its a non-issue means that everyone from here back to the first post wasted their breath. I noticed that after I left the post last week the discussion had gone on for another 2 pages so I commented with a pretty pragmatic and mellow place to land. SO, to repeat, in my 40 years at about unfortunately 25 days a year east and west, and having had the first Burton split tail and ridden boards occasionally since people were still trying to figure out how to make them feel like surfing or "snurfing", the move I'm talking about is different than anything I've ever seen at Stowe, Killington, Jackson, Mammoth, etc., but your saying its been around and common on piste resort runs for 30 years. No wonder the I had the collision, I'm obviously blind.

BodeMiller1

Yes, if you keep rewriting and editing the ski code it becomes hard to keep up with. It's comprehensive, covers everything and is about as good as it's going to get. There will always be people who will not follow the rules. The best way to stop dangerous behavior is pulling passes and when someone is hurt the courts.

BodeMiller1

Man, it get's so boring reading dismissive responses. Mockery is one thing for the fun of it, but to act like its a non-issue means that everyone from here back to the first post wasted their breath. I noticed that after I left the post last week the discussion had gone on for another 2 pages so I commented with a pretty pragmatic and mellow place to land. SO, to repeat, in my 40 years at about unfortunately 25 days a year east and west, and having had the first Burton split tail and ridden boards occasionally since people were still trying to figure out how to make them feel like surfing or "snurfing", the move I'm talking about is different than anything I've ever seen at Stowe, Killington, Jackson, Mammoth, etc., but your saying its been around and common on piste resort runs for 30 years. No wonder the I had the collision, I'm obviously blind.
That's crazy talk. 👆

bumpybrandy

Yes, if you keep rewriting and editing the ski code it becomes hard to keep up with. It's comprehensive, covers everything and is about as good as it's going to get. There will always be people who will not follow the rules. The best way to stop dangerous behavior is pulling passes and when someone is hurt the courts.
Oh yes, you just reminded me, deadhead skier wrote: "If I rode and some mountain courtesy officer came up to me trying to educate me on how to ride, I'd laugh at them." I think that would be pretty messed up unless they were saying something whacky and ridiculous that wasn't representative of a stated policy. Even then I'd probably just say gotcha politely and ski away. When I was a teenager, I recall that I skied up the offloading ramp of an out of service lift and jumped over the heads of skiers crossing below as a kid and got yelled at like crazy as I sped away. But these days I don't think I'd laugh at a resort employee who was simply reminding me of a rule I might be breaking.

bumpybrandy

Oh yes, you just reminded me, deadhead skier wrote: "If I rode and some mountain courtesy officer came up to me trying to educate me on how to ride, I'd laugh at them." I think that would be pretty messed up unless they were saying something whacky and ridiculous that wasn't representative of a stated policy. Even then I'd probably just say gotcha politely and ski away. When I was a teenager, I recall that I skied up the offloading ramp of an out of service lift and jumped over the heads of skiers crossing below as a kid and got yelled at like crazy as I sped away. But these days I don't think I'd laugh at a resort employee who was simply reminding me of a rule I might be breaking.
Ok, I suppose I'll back out once again since apparently what I call a discussion is perceived as trolling. i don't need attention. peace.

kingslug

Somewhere in France a guy is possibly facing manslaughter charges for killing a kid. Slammed into the kid who was not moving in a lesson.

MidnightJester

Ohhh mannn, was this thread a troll from the beginning? If yes... not too shabby🤔
IT was a rousing question and debate from a Disgruntled skier that would like it to be safer and less crowded. UNFORTUNETLY he's in a not winnable argument due to current rules but he has this future to look forward to as well
SNOW SKATE - (No Bindings and full leashes)
sorta-brendan2.jpg

SNOW-GO BIKE. Not many places yet but apparently if a person is disabled and this is the solution it bypasses a lot of mountain rules against this snow-machine
SNO-GO_web-14_1400x.jpg

Last edited:

Hawk

Bottom line on this thrread. You care greatly. No one else does. Sorry it's not that big an issue. I have a larger issue with clueless people in lift line. but that is just me.